Toledo Bend

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigcatch87, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    Me and my family are going to toledo bend on the thanksgiving weekend. i havent fish there in almost ten years. since i move to texas. Do you guys any suggestions on bait ? We are going to be staying near many, LA. and bank fishing for the most part. any hint would be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    all I know about the lake is that its a big one, and pretty. For bait, whether bank or boat fishing, I usually catch mine in a castnet. If you have one, take it. I've been getting a lot of small shad close to shore lately, T. Bend may be the same. Bream are usually good, cut or live. Shrimp, night crawlers and liver may work. In other words, try not to depend on one bait, especially on a lake you haven't fished in a while.

3. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    How do you cut up your bream because i have had the hardest time with mine.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A lot depends on the size. Small bream, I cut close to the anal opening, leaving part of the body cavity exposed. I hook then through the eyes. Sometimes, I'll put the tail on after the head, though not always. I don't use the tail unless I run out of bait, don't have much luck with them. Bigger bream, I cut into three or more sections. I cut behind the gills for the head, at the anal opening for the middle. Really big bream you can either fillet...leave the skin one...or cut into several sections, just make sure you leave part of the body cavity with the cut portion.

As for what I cut them with, if that's your question, I use very cheap folding knives. Used to use one that cost $3 at a convenience store. It had a stainless steel blade. Lost it in the lake, so now have a folding knife I paid 97 cents for at Walmart in the camping section (Ozark Trails is the brand, I beleive. It has a serrated section on the blade, good for cutting through thicker boney parts.

5. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    do you cut them up alive or dead?

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I will cut up live ones if I believe they will hit better on dead bait. I also use them live. Both ways work. Mostly, I get enough in my cast net that, in warm weather, some will die off. Those I get out of the bait bucket as soon as possible and put in my bait cooler (small soft sided drink cooler). Never leave dead fish in the bait bucket. this time of the year, if the catfish are hitting better on cut bait, then I'll slice and dice live ones.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I dont know if you can count on fishing from a dock, as you said bank fishing. Last I've seen many of the docks are on dry ground right now, but good luck anyways.

Cut/live bream is the way to go. If using shad, you might as well cut it up because it will only live for about 30 seconds on a hook.

8. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    Well the guy im renting the cabin for told that people catch more the bank than in boats right now. and im no strange to low water the lake we fish here in dallas is 17ft low so we have to go in the lake to fish and we do catchem.

P.s i normally put my gills in my bucket and my bubble saver on and they last a couple days. and i pretty easy get my anyway cause at my apt. our pond is filled with them. so i get practice with my castnet at about 2am and normally get about 10 in 1 cast.

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On my 3d fishing game I caught a 94lb flathead at toledo bend in 4ft of water w/ a crankbait. Sorry, never fished the real thing.