Toledo area flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by photoman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. photoman

photoman New Member

State:
    ohio
    I am looking to catch some cats on the Maumee river in the Toledo area. Would I be better off fishing the rapids areas upstream of Sidecut or the slower areas with wood such as the area around the islands near the Toledo zoo.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Todd

First of all "WELCOME to the BOC"!!

Flatheads tend not to be in fast water and like it alittle slower than Channels or Blues. I am not familiar with your waters there but a few of the guys do fish the Maumee and maybe they will jump in. Also look back into the Ohio Rivers area for past post.

3. maumeeflats

maumeeflats New Member

State:
    ohio
    fish the slower waters with cover

4. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!! I would try by the zoo or somewhere that hasnt been fished alot with snags.

5. photoman

photoman New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks guys for the info. I did fish down by the Zoo a few weeks ago. I only caught 1 small channel on my small outfit with nightcrawlers. I did not get anything on small bluegills fished under a float right up in any wood i could find.

There was a lot of boat traffic and bright sunshine so I am sure that those two things did not help.

6. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I havent fished there yet.But it would be better to fish at night ,that is when a flathead is most likely to bite.

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yeah the zoo I heard is a good spot good luck eh