Tohatsu spark plug

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Pogo, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I recently bought a used 2000 Tohatsu 15 HP (M15D) and am now finding controversy over the sparkplug.

An owner's manual didn't come with the engine, but the PDF version from the Tohatsu site lists a plain, old NGK B7HS-10 as the plug of choice.

The engine had BP7HS-10 plugs installed when I got it.

The local dealership mechanic now tells me I need to run a "projected tip resistor" plug (BPR7HS-10) to get easiest starting and best running.

The NGK and other plug websites agree with the mechanic in listing the BPR7HS-10..

I can accept a "projected tip" argument, but I was of the opinion that the "Resistor" was related to an electronic emissions issue and only required in certain places like California and Canada ... but that's an area in which I am woefully ignorant.

I'm sure they'll all work, but how do I determine who's right ... the downloable owner's manual or the current opinion consensus ... B7HS, BP7HS or BPR7HS???

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If for no other reason I would run the BP7HS-10 plugs so as not to interfer with my fish and depth finder.

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good point, Bubba ... Hadn't even thought of that one ... thanks.

4. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Run what the tech said.I switched to a champion plug that had a cross over number on mine,wrong move,that thing can be a monster to start.I'm going back to NGK before that boat moves again.

5. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hear ya Cat Tale and agree wholeheartedly.

For years I raced Gran Prix Motorcyles professionally and had the best service ever from Champion plugs, but have had the precise opposite experience trying to run them in outboards. Dunno why and it's sad, but ... true. Consequently, I'm now an NGK believer as well.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The johnsons and rudes from lets say 98 back runs good on champion plugs.
    I have two mercs and they dine good on the NGK plug.
    I haven't kept up much with the later typ of motors so I need to do some research on them.
    It don't hurt to know what to do does it.

7. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You're right, Bubba and I should have been more specific before I chunked rocks at Champion ...

My old (1941) Johnson 2 1/2 horse runs fine on Champs .. it's my 87 Suzuki 6 and 2000 Tohatsu 15 that don't seem to do as well as on NGKs.

Plus, I have friends who run mid-70s Johnsons that swear by Champions.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use NGK plugs and they work great. I would just take those numbers to the dealer and see what they say. But more than likely you will be back to the plugs you found in it. Because the other owner went though the same thing your doing.