Tohatsu Outboards?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by duckalot, Jan 14, 2007.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I found a 18 foot Polar Kraft, Wide 96 inch beam. Looks like a very well built boat. It has a 90 hp. Tohatsu low pressure direct injection motor.
    I have talked to a lot of guys who say they are very good motors.
    Never been around one. Looking for some input on this Rig.
    (Low hours and pretty clean) Thanks for any info.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob it is a good engine and very fast. I have never owned one but I have a friend that does. He has had no problems with his and he is one of the first out the gate in the tournaments we fished. I hope this helps.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It used to be called a Nissan. Same company. Very good engines and more affordable due to the lack of paying off advertising agencies.

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    When I have pulled into almost anywhere in Asia that is all you see on the back of those guys fishing/work boats. They rely on them daily - I can't imagine someone who can't afford much buying an unreliable motor. My Dad has had a Nissan 9.9 on the back of his Jon for 10+ years; I'm not sure he has ever had it serviced and it runs better than the Honda 9.9 I got him for Fathers Day (he's getting a little old to be pull starting a motor)

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    My friend runs a boat rental buisness all of his boats are equipped with them. He has fishing boats as well as toons.

Four years running NOT a single problem. Buy it you'll like it.....Don't buy it & you'll be sorry:wink:

6. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    If the price is right you need to pick it up B4 someone else does.

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    FYI - Cabelas sells these motors and even does 6 month financing. I alomost bought an 18 HP before I decided to buy a big boat (alright - my wife let me buy a big boat)

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Tohatsu is doing away with the upper hp 2 stroke motors. Parts for them are expensive, as are most, but the'll be harder and harder to come by in the not too distant future.

Just another thing to consider.

Tohatsu is the second most sold outboard in the world.

9. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have a 2003 90hp Tohatsu TLDI and it runs awesome. I have trailered it all over the U.S. and it has never given me a problem. The fuel economy is insane, it uses very little fuel. You will have to run 91 octane at min too. I owned a 40hp Nissan before I bought this engine, as my last boat had the 40 Nissan on it. That engine was the best as well. These engines really take a beating really well and just plain peform. People always look at my engine and ask me why in the world would I want a Tohatsu and I tell em cause it runs and never spends any time in the shop. I take my boat to Canada every year up to Lake of the Woods and we make the long runs every day and that is really when you find out how nice it is having a direct injection motor. So 4 years now and it still runs great. I want a new boat, but I wanna keep my motor, that is my only delima. I can't justify selling my boat when the engine is so trouble free. I hear they are in the midst of making a 134-150 hp TLDI so, if they do, I will sell mine and get another.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Alot of the commercial fishermen up north where boats are still boats like in Maine use Tahatsu and for a reason.

11. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I've run with a 90 for three years trouble free. Only problem that I have found here around KCMO is the no one wants to work on them, tune ups & etc.... Other than that its a great motor.