TOHATSU Outboards any experiences??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Opelousasrob, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just got a '95 Tohatsu long shaft elec start (fresh water) motor on my '95 16 ft Polarcraft Jon.

It runs ok but lacks the speed & push power of my '98 Evinrude 25 manual. But that push button start makes up for it and is nice on a 100 degree day here in beautiful South Texas!!!!!

Let me hear some experiences on reliability and longevity.

Thanks in advance.:wink:

2. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    they build all of the nissian line and 30 hp and smaller mercury motors

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You say you got a long shaft motor?
    Is it possible the motor is mounted to low?
    Is the cavitation plate above or below the bottom of the hull?

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Thats pretty much exactly what the dealer 20 miles from here said.

I hear they are really good motors, just dont have the dealer/service network of other outboards.

5. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas

No. Its a welded Jon with the 20" transom and a long shaft motor. The Tohatsu doesnt have the torque of the ol Evinrudes.:wink:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've only had one Tohatsu, the 25 that I am currently running on my J-16 Carolina Skiff. It is a '94 model, and runs like a banshee. Cranks instantly, PLENTY of torque, plains the boat out quickly, and has a nice top end speed. Having never run anything but Johnsons/Evinrudes, and a Yamaha, I was apprehensive. After reading the internet reviews which were great on the Tohatsu, I decided to give it a try. I have been WELL PLEASED with it's performance and fuel mileage. I would not hesitate to buy another. Maybe you could try another pitch prop, or try other adjustments. Do let us know how you fare with it.
    Bill in SC