Tohatsu break-in

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by solomon, Mar 30, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    On a 2006 Tohatsu 40, there is a break in period I know. It has several different amount of time for several different rpms you have to run it at. My question is, without, a tach guage, how can I be sure I'm not running at too high an rpm before it's broke in?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can't be sure.

Just don't open it up for a couple of tanks of gas. keep running at different speeds after getting on plane, and don't hold any speed for more than a few minutes. It should break in just fine.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks BobPaul. You da man. I was really wanting to avoid buying a tach guage. I'll probably break it in at night this weekend, so it'll be a good time to just toodle around.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hell no.

Slow motion and idle will never break your engine in and will do more damage in the long run.

Don't forget the extra oil you need to add. If your engine is oil injected, add the extra oil to the gas during a breakin period.

Usually it calls for double oiling during breakin that's 25:1. Adding a pint of oil to a six gallon tank is 50:1 on the oil rich side. If oil injected that pint added to the gas tank will be sufficient. If not oil injected, add two pints, half a quart, or 16 oz's which ever type of measuring cup you might have.

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have an 05 nissan 50hp fuel injected. The dealer said never add oil to the tank. He wouldn't let me take it out until he went to the lake with me and ran it 2 hours. He disconnected the oil injection rod. He said that would increase the oil. Ran the boat around the lake at different speeds, never wide open and told me to not open it up until I had run about 15 gallons of fuel through it. Oh, he reconnected the oil injection rod after a little over an hour. Don't know if yours is the same, but I hope this helps.

Jim

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well then I could be wrong, but that's what we did with oil injected Yamahas..

I can see where that would work. When the oil pump rod is disconnected, or fall off for some reason, the oil pump goes to full rich injection, on all oil injected engines I ever worked on.

7. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    took it out today. I wasn't able to run but for a little over an hour, but I didn't just let it idle. Ran it anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and back and forth and a couple of times I ran it up to about 3/4 for about a minute each time. Does that sound right?

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It sure does. Can't expect much more than that.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Good deal. I really like that motor.