Tohatsu 15D2 Prop - 4 blade advantage?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Pogo, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've recently been shopping for a prop for my 2001 Tohatsu 15D2 and found a good brand on sale, but it's a 4 blade versus the stock 3 blade.

It appears to have been designed properly ( a bit less pitch to make up for the additional drag), but I am curious ... do any of you think I'll gain anything by going to 4 blades over 3?

I'm not looking for addtional performance over the stock prop, but even though I have no experience with 4 blades on a small OB, I'd think I'd get less vibration and (Maybe) a bit better acceleration from DIW.

Any experience or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You will get less viberation and a wee bit more bit if it is withen the pitch range of your current 3 blade prop. If it sounds like it is over working that engine then remove it. This is where a good tach comes in handy.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The more blades you have, the more prop slip= A less efficient prop.

Quicker accelleration with 4 blades and a loss of top end speed.

4. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you, Gentlemen .. just the sort of opinions I was looking for ... as usual :smile2:

The 4 blade is only about half the cost of the stock OEM replacement .. so, naturally, it got my attention. Having never bought on price alone, though, I believe there is price and then there is value. Think I'll stick with the old tried and true :)

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe the 4 blade also gives better bite and hold in rough water.On your smaller out board I'm not sure you would notice any difference other than a slight drop in top end speed.I like them because I do fish rough water a lot and am not worried about the top speed.:smile2:

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, Jim ... I sort of suspected I'd get less vibration, but wasn't sure.

I'm not worried about speed either .. just smooth running and I know the water you speak of ... I'm in Sneads Ferry :)