Todays Fishing Report - Gar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Salmonid, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Took a friend out this afternoon to a local river and small gravel pit for some gar fishing with the rope flies and while I let my buddy have all the best spots and such, I did prevail to miss 3 solid hits and put my friend ( who has never caught a gar before ) on 2 nice fish, the first was a warmup fish from the river spot and was 28" which is a "medium" on for this spot, the fish here top out at about 36" ( these are all Longnose Gar BTW) so he was pretty stoked and then we went to a private gravel pit, overflow pond that is full of nice bigger what we call "FireHose" Gar!! and in the heat of today ( 94 degrees at 2:00 pm) he caught a real nice Longnose of 42" which in Ohio is considered a "Trophy", this fellow weighed in at about 7 lbs according to the Longnose weight/length conversion tables. I got pictures but it keeps telling me its too big even though I shrunk it down to about 17K?? any ideas on how to upload to my own space here and then post it? I might try again and see if it will work.

Salmonid ( SW Ohio)

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    File is 177K, sorry about that and keeps giving me a "File Error" , any ideas here? or better yet anyone reccomend a long time place to store fish pics on the open web so i can link to it permenantly?

ThanKs Salmonid

3. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what is a gar? where do they live?

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

Yesterday we were around a hundred of them. I was wishing that I had my light spinning tackle.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/gar.html

There are 3-4 popular speices in the USA. Spotted, long nose, and alligator,and florida. I seem to think there is another but cant think of it off hand. All but the alligator gar are somewhat small, getting about 10# maybe larger. The alligator gar reaches 12'+ and 200+ pounds. All but the alligator gar are consider trash, and even the alligator gar is consider trash by most anglers but supposedly has great meat down its back. They are typically agressive and eat mostly fish. They have huge teeth and will bite you, so most people cut the line or use pliers+ gloves to remove them. It seems some lakes/river dont have any, and others are plumb full of them. Also they have boney mouths so they are hard to catch with a hook. People who fish for them often times tie a freyed piece of cloth to the hook which catched there huge teeth and gets tangled. As far as I know most states dont have laws protecting gar, or not specifically gar.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, when are you coming over this way??/ gar gar everywhere....60 inchers for sure.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    At least you caught something. LMAO

Not sure about the file size, my guess would be to reduce the quality a little or even the size and that should help out. Instead of 500 X 400, go 400X 300.

8. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I haven't caught a gar in years, but they are fun when you get into them. Chinese food restraunts will usually give you a dollar or so, if your trying to get rid of them.