Todays Catch ... 1-24-2009

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 24, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    With yesterday being in the mid to high 40s and the temps last night only dropping down into high 20s .... it paid to have left my traps out .... and trudging through the snow and cold to check them ... last night's catch was 4 muskrats and two more male mink. The one mink is now the 5th one caught in the same set and the other was a bottom edge set under a bridge. This last one surprised me a little as there is less than 1 inch of water and the entire structure under the bridge is concrete. I set a #110 along both walls and smeared some mink lure on the wall right above both traps.

The other mink (5th in that set) is a 6 inch field tile baited with shad minnows .... Two of the rats were caught in blind sets for mink, one in a colony trap and the other in a #330 beaver set.

It was a pretty good day until after I had checked my last trap when I fell on the ice and landed on hip and then cracked my head a good one. Still seeing stars 3 hours later..... I guess it was a good thing it was my head ...... Garry-

Attached Files:

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice catch, shame fur prices are so low.

3. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    sounds like a good day except for the fall, keep up the good work gary and hope fur prices spike up soon, take care of yourself

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good day out there garry! Be safe bro!!

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Nice work Garry. It's been all coons, skunks, and possums for me. I did accidentally catch a wretched badger the other day. Looks like someone crash-landed a plane at that set. Bummer!

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Jerrod ... I was talking with a friend today and we are both glad we don't have those back hoes with teeth around here .... Garry- :wink:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry, Im amazed of how the mink has taken off in the past few years.. When I was in high school, a mink here or there seemed rare.. Now, you are busting them up! LOL.. Congrats, and watch that ice!:wink: rollo

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Wat to go Gary!!! Sorry about your fall,ya all be careful out there,don't want nothing to happen to you Sir, J.D.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio

Nice catch Garry! How many traps do you have out? You seem to have found a real nice area for Mink. Good luck and watch your step out there,LOL!

10. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey gary nice job sorry to here about to here about that hopefully i get an earlier jump next year and do a little better deinately knocking the snot out of the mink

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Roger ... I have 12 traps out right now ... but have tried to place them in what I think are really good places ... they are aslo spread, insome cases many miles apart .... 3 of those are beaver traps, the rest are #110, #120 or 1.5 coils ... mainly blind sets with a little lure.

Garry-