Todays Carp 4-25-06

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

Took off to go carping at about 5:30 pm EDT and caught one. Attached is a pic (I did not forget my camera today, like I did Saturday when I caught the 5 pounder). I caught him at about 6:15 pm, on canned corn. He weighed 4 lbs 12 oz and measured 23 inches. An inch longer than the one Saturday but weighed 4 oz less.

I was also fishing another rod with a Wheaties dougball (with some flavoring added) and they were pecking around at it but never got serious about taking it.

Only got to fish until about 7:15 pm, since a big storm came in on me.

Hope you enjoy the pic.

Attached Files:

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice carp, bet she felt good on that lighter tackle;)

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Nice Carp, man they're fun to catch.

SudDawg

4. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :) Hey...Nice fish. I would imagine it gave you a rather scrappy fight. Is Watauga Lake up toward the mountain area of Tennessee?

5. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Yes, it is in the heart of the mountains. Located in the very upper northeast corner of the state. Watauga lake is the highest lake in the TVA system, at 1960 feet above sea level. A very clean lake . And, Hampton is located about 60 miles from Boone, NC.

6. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN

Yep, it sure did feel good on the light tackle. And, it almost got away with my rod and reel when I was tying a hook onto the line of the other rod I had with me. I just managed to grab the rod before it hit the water. It would been a real heart breaker to have lost that G Loomis Drop Shot rod and the Shimano Symetre reel I have on it. I did not have my good rod holders with me and just had the rod propped up against my tackle bag. I have two of those rods (bought another one this year since I liked the first one so much and put a Quantum Energy PTi reel on it). They have a soft, sensitive tip but have a lot of back backbone. They are 6' 10" long, handle lines of from 4 to 8 pound test and a lure range of from 1/8 to 3/8 ounce. Great rod for fishing "light" but they are expensive. It is a versatile rod that I use for several different methods. And, due to their size and weight, they are all I take if I am going to have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot or if I am going to be on the move a lot.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Hey where did you catch that little guy!!! I've heard that that is the best "eating size," but you own't see me eating one!:)

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice carp you got there. :thumbsup:

9. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    :0a31: nice catch

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not bad at all. I caught an 8lber on some hair rigged range cubes today, but I need to refine my hair rigging, it seemed a little shabby. Oh well, that will give me something to do during breaks between research papers. Hopefully the range cubes do well this saturday. Ultra light carping is great fun, and a test of skill. My best fish to line ratio was an 18lb grass carp on 6lb line, and a 17lb common on 4lb line. The common was 2 years ago and the grassy was last week. Big rush when you get a screaming drag with light line. I may have to go stalk me a big one tommorow.

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For general use I go with my Abu 6000 with 17lb line and a braided leader, usually popped up bread. For topwater stalking I have a few options. Option 1, small 5 ft UL rod with Abu cardinal reel and 6lb test (for finicky fish), or my proven and worn in 7ft plain old shakepear rod, with old zebco "genesis" reel and 30lb Power pro. Casts floating bread out a good 20 to 30 yards, without weight or float. Nothing fancy about it but it gets the job done. For this weekends fish in I am going to try my 7 ft cat rod on some carp. The Abu casts well with a 1 or 2 oz weight and the bait clicker on free spool is my favorite feature.

12. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Nice sized carp! What flavoring did u use for the doughball and how big were the balls? Im new to carp fishing so im lookin for some newb tips lol!:cool2:
    Joe

13. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN

Joe,

I flavored the Wheaties doughball with strawberry jello and some vanilla extract. But, remember, I did not catch that fish on the doughball but on canned corn. Although, like I had said, I was getting a few taps on the doughball. This was the first time I had ever tried making up a Wheaties dougball. I used a whole box of Wheaties (crushed up, using a mortar and pestal), one package of strawberry jello powder, two teaspoons of vanilla extract, added water and some flour until I got the texture of dough that I wanted. Then, I put it in the refrigerator for a few hours and the texture got even better. Anyway, it is still an experiment in progress. I have not gotten to fish again since I caught this carp. So, I cannot give any additional reports as to whether the Wheaties doughball is going to work in my area or not. But, it appears, from all I have read, that the Wheaties doughball and its variants have been good producers for carp in many waters throughout our nation.

As for the size of the doughball, I was using one about the size of a marble or just a little bigger. And, was molding it around a size #6 Eagle claw bait holder hook