Todays big carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catmanjake, Aug 13, 2007.

1. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    went out fishing today for carp. only brought my fly rod beacause i only wanted to fly fish. when i got down to the lake i seen a tail. a BIG tail of a carp. i casted my fly and slowly brought it along the bottom. i seen the tail start moving faster (usually meaning it found food) i set the hook and i had it. after a grueling 30 minute fight i had her near shore .and grabbed her but she flopped out of my hands and made another desperate run. then i got her in and landed her. (first pic)
    i let her go and started walking the shoreline to find more tails. and after seeing none i mad my way back. and then where i seen the first tail. i seen another big tail. i casted out again and did the same thing. and the tail sped up. i set the hook. i missed it!!!:what: but luckily it only swam 10 feet down the shore line and then started feeding again. i made another cast to her. she took it again. but this time i got it. and after 45 minutes of fighting i finally got her on shore. (second pic)
    my fly rods handle to the first eylet is 36 inches. (the line is all out because my reel broke a couple days ago and it doesnt crank in easily now. so i just pul in the line)

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We need to change your name to CARP man jake .:roll_eyes:,Those are great fish buddy thanks for sharing.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    great lookin fish jake!!! keep em commin!

4. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    here is the fly i caught them on. a recent tie
    o and if you look at the first one you notice you can see the belly so much more she was so fat she rolled on her back

Attached Files:

5. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Those are some awesome fish! I bet it was a rush on the fly rod. That is a nice looking fly. Where did you find it?

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice carp, I know it was fun catching him on a fly rod.

7. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    the fly is my own pattern. the hair is cat hair. my cat sheds ALOT so i just used his hair as dubbing.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep its a good time to catch them. i seen some the other day at the creek. tried to hook one with worn but he just never took hold of it. did get a nice small mouth.

9. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    nice carp jake, bet that was fun on fly rod!!!

10. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    thanks all. the first carp that day is probably one of my top 10 biggest carp on the fly.

11. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Jake, I came to the carp page to post about using a fly rod. Then, I saw your post.
    I just have a couple of questions, Jake; What size hook did you tie the fly on? What weight was your taper? About how much line do you think he took during the fight? And how much fun was THAT?

I use a 4 1/2 lb. taper with a #10 baitholder usually baited with bread (balled-up to sink, or hooked loose to float) There's nothing like having a 15# fish on a 4lb. line and seeing that rod bend.

Great catch, buddy.