Today was MY day on the GMR!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Since today was my last day before I start another job, and had already booked 40 plus hours by Thursday I tried to let the company give me the ok to NOT come in, well they said I had to make the token appearance so I did, got home about 10am and knew this was not the best part of the day to hit the river but figured I had all day and I wanted to spend some good quality time by myself pondering the past work assignment and then the future one as well. So I load up the boat and head over to the West Carrolton pool and in the water a little after 11:00am, Boat starts fine ( thats a good sign!!) and as I let the motor warm up a bit I keep smelling poo, ( reminded me of the South Park where Cartman gives Butters a Dirty Sanchez!) anyways I quickly figure out that somewhere in the 5 steps off of pavement to the ramp that I hit a huge fresh pile from Fido:crazy: so I spend about 10 minutes trying to wash that off and then get going, ( maybe that isnt such a good start....) I get down river to a tree in some shade in about 6 ft of water and fish it real good all the while getting blown around a bit even with two anchors down,so I move around some and it only gets worse, the wind is playing hell with me and Im all over the the freaking place so I start moving around and in the process, realize the steering is acting a bit funny and then its where it wont turn left at all so I about turn the Smurf boat into a hover craft and anchor in the middle of the river to figure out whats going on???? about 30 minutes later I have fixed the homemade steering colm by remounting all the cables with the right amount of slack. So I fired up the motor and hit the gas and turn left to head up river except I went right and about beached the boat again.. Go figure, I had it set up to turn left when you steered right and vice versa, so I figure thats ok, Ill just make it work, well, that didnt last long before I set down and rewired it, another 20 minutes, oh well in the meantime Im totally getting fried from the direct sun.. it wasnt pretty. so I get back to fishing and since there is ZERO current anywhere in the pool right now with the low water, I actually did better anchoring withe nose of the boat DOWN Stream and let the white caps push me upriver....seriously, I still drifted all over the place even with the 3 point anchoring. Anyways, I moved all around and the other 4 boats have all left by now ( all fishing BTW) and the wind is only getting worse as last week It played heck with me as it was straight from the NORTH, today was a 180 degree difference, Staright from the SOUTH and getting harder as the afternoon went on, I ran all over the place trying to find a break but each place was worse then the one before it... and anchoring downstream of the areas was weird to fish???( had to cast upstream) anyways fished wood, muck, gravel, what little current there was, slack water. deep, shallow nada, nothing, zip. zilch, not even a turtle bite in almost 4 hrs.......I brought in every piece of bait I had except eh live bluegill I threw off the hook, none had even been touched. So to top off the day, ( mind you, 4th time getting skunked for cats in a row now) I had my flattie rod with me in a rod holder and I went to cast a channel outfit, I hit the rod tip, and it screwed up the cast just enough to allow me to pull a Mellon and cast the whole rig into a tree, thats great I thought.....:angry: so I had to unanchor and get on my tippy toes on the tallest part of the boat in 14 feet of water and leap up to get the limb while the boat was blowing away, I did it but in hindsight, it was a stupid move as there was noone around to help me if I needed it, Mental note to just cut the dern line. so yes, it was MY day, my day to get sunburned so bad I look like a juicy red tomato!, My day to have the Wind and Fish gods have there way with me and I can still hear them laughing at me and yes, it STILL was a good day to be out as the breeze was nice, being by myself to wonder about life in general is a great way to clense the soul and even thoug I didnt catch any fish, Im still glad I went, it was good day, it was MY day to do what i please and thats what I did, the catching fish part is usually pretty important to me but today was NOT one of those days.

So back to the report, anyone have a hint of a pattern they would like to share with me??? It was so bad I saw some turtles and so I even cast to them.......( dink must be rubbing off on me)

Salmonid who will be chasing smallies tomorrow in Indiana on a secret unnamed flow that will get my confidance back:wink: :wink:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck on the new job brother, I wish you the best.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The moral of the story is: Its not always about catching,

Salmonid

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Got to tell ya Sal with every post that you make I feel better about the way my last few trips have gone (none even close to as bad as yours) guess your luck has to change then all of the bad trips can be forgotten right!!! hey hope your luck changes and ya find 'em good luck at that new job :big_smile:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Guess the fishing Gods was watching over you and you didn't even know it. At least you didn't fall in ,sink the boat etc. Anyway Best of luck on the new job and better luck fishin next time. Enjoy your days off no matter what you do .GOD BLESS!!

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just what the Dr ordered! this morning I went to a small creek in Southern Indiana and really tore into the smallies with the spin gear,( this was a Slump-Buster trip) we took a couple dozen and a handful were from 11-15" so we consider those decent fish, My best one broke me off and then jumped to show us how big he was, ( about 16+") all from a stream that averages 30 CFS. All fish took a Tiny Pop R, 2" floating rapala or a 3" blue and orange Husky Jerk. It was a great morning and not another person in sight! So getting up at 4:30 this morning was worth it and a little confidence restored.
    Best part its raining like hell and Im sure Ill be stupid enough to try my hand at the river once the rain stops , hopefully the river is on the rise! Im thinking about it........
    Quick, somebody slap me back to reality!!!!

Salmonid

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sounds like some of my days:tounge_out:

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Catching any kind of fish is a good thing. I haven't done worth a poop fishing at all this summer. Good thing hunting seasons are right around the corner. :lol: