Today or tomorrow

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by jonnycat, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Gonna go either today or tomorrow to Marshall Hall and try my luck. If I can get some shad it should turn out to be a good day. Hadn't been since Nov 21 on my b-day when we hit the James at the mouth of the Chick. I don't post pictures but I hope to give a good report on the results. Maybe I see some of you out there today. Later for now---jonnycat

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    When we were out, I expected them to be deep but those fish came out of 22 feet of water. Water level looks about normal, lots of weeds coming down river - we had to move a couple of times because we couldn't keep the lines clear. Good luck.

3. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good luck out there. The weather would have been perfect for fishing today. Looking forward to hearing what you caught.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Have a productive and safe trip enjoy:0a23:

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Got to Marshall Hall about 11am. Headed across river to get bait and got 3 nice cutters with the first 3 throwsof the net. 4th and 5th throws each yeilded carp up to 15lbs or bigger and blue catfish up to 6lbs. Headed up river to the Ft Washington area to look for some arches. Saw Tim Hagan and chatted briefly. He'll give his report I'm sure. Caught 8 or 9 fish with the largest being just under 20lbs and the rest right on down to around 5lbs. I feel that the fish were fine and all, but my happiness comes from finding the river is full of bait fish throughout the 12 miles that I checked for just that reason. Hope to get out again soon. Maybe I see some of you all out there next time. Later for now---jonnycat

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We started out of fort Washington today at 7am and was breaking ice coming out . I set up just below the light house first and we had a fish in the boat in 5 mins. we fish that stop for 2 1/2 hours boated 18 blues form 12 to 41 lbs 11 was over 20. Stop and talk with johnny and headed up to the bridge for some eaters. We popped 15 of them in 1/2 hourand headed back down the fine some big boys again,seemed the fish turn off couldn't catch any more . Johnny is right the bait was everywhere. I got shad at blue plain lots of them

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Today was very nice, I bet even nicer on the water.

8. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sounds like some good times had by both of you. We did notice that a couple of times during the day the bite completely shut down. I mean not even a nibble.

9. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    What tide was running when the fish shut down?? It has happened to me manytime on this river. Seems like sometimes they want one tide or the other. Glad you all had a good day on the water.

10. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It was towards the end of slack tide that the bite pretty much turned to nothing. During slack tide though we have been catching most of the fish.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    most of the fish was taken at the start of incoming tide. I was Looking for a good bite to start back up with outgoing but need took off. here the pic's for mondays trip

Attached Files:

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    here is the two bigger fish 41 and 36

Attached Files:

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

That is nice mess of fish.

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    looks like you had a good time tim

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Dave the guy I had out was so happy he called today to book a trip for next monday with his wife so she can enjoy it as well.

16. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Congrats to the both of you. Those are some nice fish! I love how white they turn in that deep cold water. Thanks for sharing!

17. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Thanks Tim, we had a pretty good bite the other day at the 1st 2 hour of incomming also. Only problem was we had to leave early.

18. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I find it very interesting that the slack and beginning of the incoming tide are best right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the warmer months the high outgoing tide seems best. Maybe with the colder temps, they're conserving more energy and or their bodies just can't keep up with the faster current in the cold waters? Makes sense.

19. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I need to start keeping a log book documenting the time, tide, moon, bait, location, size of the fish, etc... It would make it a lot easier than trying to remember everything. It seems though at least for me that we have been catching the big fish during slack tide for the last month. It very well may shift during the different seasons when they are actually more prone to feed.

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well you guys are right when the water get in the mid 40's and lower I try to set my trip around the low tides. As it starts to warm up I will try to move back up to high tide. Now in the colder waters I still can catch some fish at the slack high tide but they don't seem the bite very much when the current is really moving. At this time I look for big Current breaks where in water moves very little and they seem to do better then the main river.