Today 9/28

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Sep 28, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    On board the Island Spirit out of Capt. Hooks at Channel Islands Harbor.
    Took the 3/4 day trip out to the Islands.
    I'm kind of tired so I'm just going to run the highlights.
    The boat is comfortable to ride with plenty of room for a light load like we had today (22).
    The crew worked very hard at getting right on all of the tangles and were prompt to take off your fish and bag it for yo.
    The Captain did a good job of finding plenty of willing bottom grabbers even if they were on the small side.
    I fished all day with Gulp poggies in blood red. Was outcatching every one three to one.
    Good food from the galley if a little limited.
    Nice trip, I'll go again.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Tom THX 4 the report.was hopeing 2 go 2 get together with u @ the fiascal Ray and I was planning on going to, but had 2 work. Sorry 4 the poatl but I am on my blackberry since my laptop is down.

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Robb, as far as I know Ray went to the delta this weekend. He asked me to go but having just returned from a two week trip I have too much to do to leave again for days at a time. I even turned down a 1-1/2 day trip for albacore at a bargan price because I need to get things done.
    This little trip out of Capt hooks was with a Young man that I trained as a plumber a few years ago and his friend. I also taught him how to shoot and about gun safety and took him hunting a few times. He was raised by his mother so didn't have much male influence in his life to teach him the outdoors stuff.
    The funny thing about it is he gets seasick like no one I ever saw before and always forgets his meds. So even though he was on board, he didn't fish for being busy naming all the fish I caught Ralph. But with the numbers of fish I was catching, He still went home with a good bag of filets.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom... thanks for the salt report... glad you could get out with "Ralph". We will plan on the Yuma/Martinez trip for Oct. 11--14. I have been posting on the AZ site (BOC) and several others may join us for that....

What was the action at the Islands.... all bottom fish??

bayrunner ray

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    >Thats all we fished for, Ray.
    >I saw a light boat out at the Islands heading back so the squid may be there, but the landing didn't have any when we went out. I've read a few WSB being caught but no big numbers and most of those were on overnight trips.
    >The boats that have been staying close to shore have been getting a mixed bag of calicos and sandies but few limits and mostly down coast toward Malibu. A few 'buts showing on the nearshore trips also.