Toasty footsies: What works to keep your feet warm while hunting or fishing?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Oct 7, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ah deer season, Daniel Boone image's and manliness wrapped in testosterone. But this ol' guy has a problem with his feet anymore. Circulation and age has taken its toll on being able to stay in one position for a long time when it is cold. And it gets COLD here, esp. 2nd shotgun season. Deer laugh at you when you are bouncing from one foot to another to keep your feet at least from getting too numb, let alone froze.

I have used everything. Foot warmers, battery socks, extra pairs of socks, tried a variety of footwear. To no avail. What works best for you guys? The same thing applies to ice fishing which I like to do. John.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Order you a pair of those Arctic Mickey mouse boots from a military surplus store.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John, this is what works for me. Merino wool socks ( at least 75% wool ) and a pair of muck boots. I buy the boots a size bigger so they don't fit tight with the thicker socks. The layer of air inside the boot is another layer of insulation. Sometimes I will use the toasty toes if the temps stay below freezing all day.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    John i wear timberline insulated boots, with a pair of 100% wool socks. I also use the toasty toes especially when ice fishing. Bam brought up a good point. The boots should be a least a size larger. I also use a power cat heater inside my clam when ice fishing.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm from Florida and I cant get use to the cold for the life of me. It's not bad here in SC but I use the Toe warmers from Wal-Mart along with the wool socks. Like the earlier post I also wear over sized boots. I haven't bought a good pair of boots yet but my work boots are doing fine with the warmers. I also make sure my long-Johns and pants are loose also, I gotta keep my blood flowing good also or my bad hip gives out on me. Now the hands....thats the one I haven't figured out yet while fishing.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In a word,NOTHING, I have never found any boot ,yet that will keep my feet toasty . But I'm cheap I aint shellin out 200.00 just for a pair of boots . If iI get miserable I just go home ,but I am pretty tough too.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Richard: I agree with you a hundred percent. At least I am close to home. When I come back in from not being able to stand it anymore I unload my gun. I don't want a damn deer cruising by and ruin my day anymore. And by the way, I have hair on my head. I may not be as tough as you, but I only have my feet to worry about.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Never tried 'em, but I think they're called Boot Blankets. A little bulky, but I haven't seen a bad review of them.

9. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i solved this 1 along time ago hunt from your window and your feet will stay very warm:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hate cold feet, once they get cold it makes your whole body cold. I use a good pair of insulated boots, wool socks, and foot warmers from Walmart. I sit in a blind because I hate the cold. But one thing you have to remember, no matter how much you prepare if you let your feet sweat they will get cold. I don't put the warmers in my boots till I get in the blind. Sometimes I will even take my shoes off for a while to keep them from sweating. I also have a little propane heater in my blind that I can point at my feet. But the biggest cure I have found here in Iowa to avoid cold feet when deer hunting. Get an early muzzy tag. The weather is usually not so bad. :smile2: Gonna be hunting next weekend!

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's the thing for me. I hate cold feet! I hate being cold period. You would think that after a while, I would get used to being cold. I work in the cold, and deer season here is usually pretty dang cold. I just hate it, and the older I get, the less I like it. I really feel for you "Oldie Olsons".

The problem for me is, I have a pair of neoprene boots with 1000 grams of thinsulate. They are about 2 sizes too big to accomodate a couple pairs of wool socks that I wear. It just seems like my feet are sweating half the time, and freezing half the time. I want a pair of space age climate controled boots that keep my feet at a constant temp.

I did watch a show about surviving the cold where they were experimenting with a heated vest designed to keep your core temp. up, increasing the bloodflow to the rest of your body. Supposedly, if you can keep your core body temp. where it should be, your hands an feet will not get cold.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In boy scouts we learned "DRY IS WARMER THAN WET" Thing about that is your feet sweat. The 100% best way of keeping your feet warm and toasty, is to LAYER your socks. Start with an extremely THIN pair of thinselet socks. then move to a slightly thicker pair of thinselet socks. Then a pair of big, thick 100% wool socks. All this inside a nice, oversize pair of boots. As your feet sweat, the thin pair of socks next to your skin immediatly wicks the moisture away from your feet. The next pair pushes the water even further away. Then finally, the wool absorbs the water. No big deal there because wool insulates, even when wet.

13. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Take a bottle of whiskey and you can't feel your toes getting cold...ha

-Red

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Redd, not far from the truth. When it is my time, if it's winter, that is the way I am gonna go. Get the best, smoothest stuff I can buy. Find a nice white oak tree, lean back and pour the hair of the dog down. Sleep shall overcome me and the cold will put the blanket on.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    This has worked for me a couple times. Tobaggans, I think thats what theyre called. Yes those things you wear on your head, get the biggest, thickest and uglies one you can find. When you get on stand slide them over your boots, its worked for me. Also get you one of those neoprene seat things to rest your feet on. If that doesnt work get you blanket and wrap them up in, not great for bowhunting but works for everything else.

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    jack daniel's single barrel. its um um good.

i hate cold weather too. thats why i live DOWN SOUTH. you should just come drink your whiskey and hunt down here.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    JD, I like that, "Jack Daniels single barrel." What gauge does that come in? Let's see- Chitlins, black eyed peas, okra, hominy, grits, black strap molasses, and some of the things Peewee Williams eats. If you let me bring my own grub and promise no Hurricanes I might take ya up on that. Fly the Stars and Bars, I'll go through Arkansas and get some of that good stuff of Triple 7's. John.

18. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Blackberry Brandy was the heat source in Northern Wisconsin when ice fishing. :wink:

19. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Have I re-awakened an old trend? lol John: My tip for you, if you want to save some money and get a lil' cheaper whiskey, start chewing cope whiskey blend... you'll already be used to the taste..ha And be sure to tie yourself to the tree so you don't wonder off and hurt yourself... By the time you get itchy feet, you'll forget why you can't get up.

-Red

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Redd you gave me heartburn just reading that post, lol