Toast, Hold the Jelly:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Mar 5, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many of you do this? Or do you think it a little nutsy-squirrely?

Moved back to Iowa 24 years ago with a new wife and an old attitude I could rekindle. Bought a farm and began once again to live with animals instead of caring for someone else's. Nancy, my wife, is an animal goof ball (I mean that lovingly). We decided not to have kids, don't want kids, don't want to see kids. If you got kids that is your problem, just keep them on your side of the fence and away from me when I go out. Either that or put a muzzle on them. If you got 'em and want 'em I have no problem whatsoever with that.

We elected to have pets. A lot of pets over the years. Many, many pets over the years. Some we ate, some we sold, some of 'em we buried.

We have a couple of ponds. One is close to the house. A nice pond, but a bad pond. It has a rock bottom and the water comes and goes. But it is pretty. I throw the river fish I catch in it and let them clean up. Gives me an excuse to go fishing twice. I keep one side like a park. Nice bank, planted trees and shrubs, willows, a copse of walnut trees on a rock bank, really purty. In that copse of walnut trees we have established a "Pet Cemetery". Not the kind of cemetery where you plant Fred the gerbil and cry over it with the kids one week and then mow over it the next week. This cemetery has head stones and rock carrions, flowers and actual loving care like it was your Greatgrandmother who left you a half a million bucks.

Spanky, Rock, Chick-chick, Jamie, Helen, Fat-cat, Cocky, Cheeks and on and on. It is where Lil tommy is going to go if you are familiar with Lil Tommy. It is where I am going to go when the plug gets pulled on my bathtub. Only I am going to get toasted and Nancy will spread my ashes over those graves. (ashes to ashes, dust to dust). Those walnuts trees will certainly like the nutrients, minus the beer.

Do any of you folks maintain a place like this, minus me of course, or do you just dump 'em?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes and no. We don't have quite the extended history that you do, but we planted Porsche in the yard by the ffront porch. There's a little Terra Cotta angel that sits on top of her.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds ike you got a nice spot out there John. I've never lived in an area where we had quite enough room to do all that. I have been an animal lover as far as I can remember though. When I was a kid, the only pets we could afford were the ones I caught at the local park (salamanders, frogs and such). When they died, they got put in little boxes and buried in the back yard.

My grandmother had a collie/shepard named "Sandy" that lived until she got so old that it hurt her to move. Arthritis I guess. One day while all the kids were at school, my grandmother took her to the local vet to be put down. Talk about a sad day!

While I was in Kuwait in '03 my boa constrictor that I had for almost 8 yrs or so passed away and my wife didnt know what the heck to do with a big bloated snake carcass so my brother in law disposed of it "properly" Im told. I never wanted to know that details.

Now, I am left with Duke my young hard-headed but lovable rottie. Lord willing, I still have quite a few years left with him!

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    Amy, like nancy is an animal nut. a few years ago she went on and on 6 year old style about this danged lizard (chinese water dragon, i think). i got it for her that Christmas. it promptly died the next fall. rather than throw it away, i was instructed to make an actual grave for it. rock, planted flowers and elephant ears, the works. its in the way back of the yard (outside the fence-by the wet-weather creek on a grassy knoll). i have since added a pet fish, a stray kitten, and reserved a future spot for the 2 dogs, and 2 cats (just in case). i doubt it is as extraordinary as your spot, but it aint bad for an alabamian.

as for me, i used to think that i wanted to be cremated. but, the smell of burning bodies is atrocious. so i have decided that i would like to save some random mortician the trouble. i doubt, if it is possible, but i would like to be sunk in the drink. not the ocean, but my fav. deep hole on the alabama river. that should be a ways off though.

its funny you mention great-grandmothers. mine is 92 years old, and living completely alone, untill a few days ago. currently she is in the hospital, and all of the family is migrating back to Mobile, just in case. she doesnt have any millions, just an old shotgun house in what used to be a nice part of town 60 years ago. you can feel the family tension mounting. for the first time in my life, i got the feeling it was her time, errr it will be soon. she couldnt speak, at least not and make any sense. just last week, she was telling me about the ins, and outs, of raising kids during the depression, and "jerkin soda's" after high school. i never really thought about her as being old. she has acted more like a 12 year old girl than a 90 some odd year old woman for most of my life. i can see in her eyes that it ticks her off not to be able to talk. she has lived a long hard life, and talking is what got her through. but, im rambling, and this aint the right thread for that.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have sevaral places like that mr john.ever where ive lived i burried my pets.rite now i have 6 pitbulls and 1 chi wa wa burried at the end of my drive.

6. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I was married his parents had 100 acres of woods and creek. That is where alot of my pets are burried. We really didn't maintain it though.

We would usually bury them near this one tree and then mark the tree with their name. Father-in-law sold that property not too long before he died.

Now days I live in town and they don't like pet cemetaries in your back yard. :sad2:

Luckily we know people with property where they can be burried. My last dog was put down by the vet and they took care of her remains.

I can't wait till I live outside the city limits again!

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have had my farm for eight years. Two years ago we buried bad-cat who was 14 yrs old down by the pond. I had to put my German Shorthair down at 16yrs old on 2-4-08. That is also where he is at. My wife and I have decided we don't want anymore pets for awhile. At least until a good stray shows up again.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beetle ya got it giong on.............!

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Dug a few holes in the back yard over the years. Illegal as all get out but do ya think I care.:cool2:

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Frankie and myself have a secert garden that has a curved brick walkway thru it, thus it is not too secert. In the spring time everybody that comes to visit us wants to walk thru it and look at the flowers and the flowering trees. This is the area that Frankie wants her ashes spread. For me, I have requested that a cup full be thrown onto the waters (Lake Norman) back of the house and the rest can go in the secert garden. We have decided to bury Maggie (Chinese Pug) and Jackie (Jack Russell ofcourse) in the secert garden. Also, our services will be held in or close to the secert garden. We also have a gold colored cat named Rowdy, that we inherited from a spinster that we use to watch over.

Sir John, I would suggest that Nancy try to cut a deal with the guy that is going to fry you. Tell her to inform him that you should burn a little quicker than the average person due to the __________ content in your system and thus would require less propane and cooking time. Fair is fair, don't you think? Dollar here and a dollar there amounts up.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac, I sold and or sold and planted thousands of trees for folks. One day a little old lady came in the nursery and bought a nice hybrid maple "Red Sunset" a two inch tree that weighted about 250 lbs balled and burlapped.

I was to deliver and plant it in her farmyard as a memorial tree to her husband. Okey Dokey.

I arrived at the yard and there was more people there than for a usual tree planting. Kids, Grandkids etc. We picked a place, I dug the hole and went to the trailer to get the tree with a ball cart. I wheeled the tree to the hole and she reaches in her coat and pulls out the prettiest jar. "Here John, put this in the hole before you roll the tree in.' she says.

Mac, over the years I have learned not to ask questions. You don't get paid to ask questions, you get paid to answer questions, so I didn't say anything. I took the jar and placed it in the bottom of the hole. "John that is Alfred, my husband in that jar. We thought we would put his ashes under his memorial tree."

Okey Dokey.

In a thousand years some archeologist is going come across that tree and think he found another Egyptian tomb. LOL. It was a really nice tree though.

John.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have buried a few animals in my time. rats, birds, cats, dogs, a horse, and a few others. we never really marked the graves that nice, but we always knew where they were and no-one would bother them. we wouldnt walk on them or let the kids play near them. i even have a few out here in my back yard.

13. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Who is that imposter on Sgt's avatar. Could it really be the Sgt. looking straight ahead, rather than up in the air. This one is going to take some getting use to. :smile2: