Toads?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dusty1529, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    Has anyone ever heard of useing toads for catfish? A friend of mine swears by them and I am just sceptical.

Thanks!

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i used two of them a few weeks back i caught on the bank, didnt catch anything i was hooking them live thro the head lol, i think skining them or as cut bait would be the right way to use them instead of whole but im intrested what everyone else has to say about them.

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've only used them once or twice with no luck, but I also have friends that swear by them. If they get big enough though, I'll just throw out some shad or bluegill and fry me up some of them legs!

4. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    My uncle uses them when he fishes the river and hes been known to pull nice ones up when using toads. I have never used them myself, but i remember going out and catching them for him so he could use them when he felt like fishing for cats...if i remember correctly, he mostly pulled up flatties with them

5. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One time a buddy and me were fishen and he decided to move up stream and i stuck it out were i was.Bad thing was he took the all the worms with him.Before i knew it i needed bait and didnt have any,rolled over some small logs looken for sand worms and came accross a toad.I hooked it between the back legs just in enough so it didnt kill it.I had a 3 pound channel withen 5 minutes.Good but my toad was missing.werent in its mouth.I ended up going upstream were my buddy had caught 2 flatheads on the worms so i decided his place was better than were i was.We ended up with 7 flats and that one channel.Never have used a toad since but when ever i see one that story comes to mind.Maybe i will have to give it a try again sometime.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I like to leave them so they can eat the bugs!! :wink: :wink:

7. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    if you fish an area where there are toads hopping around everywhere on the banks, yes they are great bait! not so much in areas where you have to look for one.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Small toads are one of the best Channel cat baits. I have used then for close to 50 years . I fish them under a float in the river, and catch nice channels up to 25# on them. I have never caught a Flathead on one .

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    makes since to me!! greatly said man, shane

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I live on a lake full of cats w toads around. I've tried, but I just havent ever caught a ANYTHING on a toad. They'll tear a bullfrogs ass up though.:big_smile:

11. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i've used them a few times, but the bite was on and i don't think they were being too picky. i would try them again, but can't imagine them becoming the "GO TO BAIT".

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I've used them before and caught bass and blue gill on them. Our campsite was literally crawling with them, looked like the ground was moving!:smile2: If I run into that again, you can bet I'll hook one on and toss it out for the lil kittys!

13. sbirnel

sbirnel Member

State:
    TX
    I had great success with toads on a sand pit lake I used to fish in nebraska. it had sandy shores and there was toads everywhere at the waters edge. I guess thats why the catfish, and bass, saw them as a good food source! in my limited experience catfishing, if there is a lot of something around the banks of the lake or pond...grasshoppers, frogs, toads etc...chances are the catfish will eat it if you put one on a hook and toss it out to them! cheapest bait ever.

14. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The fish in my pic was off a toad