Toads as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by douglas_413, May 10, 2006.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How many people here use toads? Will Flatheads hit them? and what size is best for flatheads?

I allready use them for channels and they work pretty good, but I am just starting after Flatheads.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    joseph, if fished inthe right spots flats will hit frogs so i suppose they will hit toads. I hook them thur th thigh with a long leader to heavy weight to hold thm in place. Ihaven't tried using dead one on the bottom. good luck

cat:0a23: ch ya later

3. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thats one of the better flathead baits in my opinion my step day caught a 55lb flat on one once and ive caught a 13lb on them but yeah it you can get them use them

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have used bull frogs and leopard frogs nut never toads. my grandpa use to tell me toad frogs weren't very good for bait.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used toads for channels for years, I have never caught a flathead on one

6. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    OH Yes:

Dafin is world famous for Catching al them Bigguns in Kansas with the
    Overly famous SAND TOADS.

LMAO:

Gene

7. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've never used them for flats, but they work for channels. part of the reason they work so good, is that they can't stay under water and survive like frogs. this causes them to struggle more than frogs, which is like ringing a dinner bell in the water.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Three years or so back, I caught several toads and put them on some jugs I set out in a small lake, thinking that I would catch cats or bass on them. (No, I wasn't fishing for the bass, but they had a habit of frequently eating the minnows I was baiting with...I was mainly jugging for crappie.) I left the jugs overnight. The next morning, not only had I not caught a single fish on toads, but every jug baited with the toads had been dragged up onto the shore.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Never tried toads,but i've used tadpoles before.I've not caught anything big with them,but caught little squeakers on them.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :big_smile: FRIST OF ALL WELCOME TO THE BOC.AND NO I'VE NEVER TRIED TOADS.