Toads And Warts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, May 11, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: JUST WONDERING HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE EVER HEARD THE OLE SAYING THAT TOADS WILL GIVE YOU WARTS IF YOU TOUCH THEM? I SAW A POST FROMDOUGLAS 413 THAT HE USED THEM FOR BAIT. I KNOW WHEN GROWING UP I WAS TOLD THAT (AND I USED TO PLAY WITH THEM )AND GUESS WHAT IHAD WARTS ON EVER ONE OF MY FINGERS. DON'T KNOW IF THAT HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT BUT THEY SURE DID HURT AND ITCH. DON'T WISH THEM ON ANYONE. JUUT CURIOUS HOW MANY HAD HEARD THAT. BY THE WAY DON'T HAVE THEM ANYMORE. WOKE UP ONE MORNING AND THEY WERE GONE. WIERD HUH.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Have heard that all my life.

The best one yet is what you can do for them. Get an elder to "buy" the warts for a penny. According to the tales from my mom and grandmother, you can take a penny, rub it on someone's warts and give them the penny. Effectively buying them from the infected person. According to lore, the warts will dissapear. Many in my family save that's happened to them. Could it be the copper in the penny or just a tale?

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I've heard that touching Armodillo will cause leprosy. Don't know if it's true or not but, I've got (and plan on keeping) all my fingers. :big_smile:

4. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Thats a big fat no. Toads dont cause them. I've heard that before too though.

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well momma always use to tell me that but i'm thinking so i would leave them outside:tounge_out:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've heard that and it's not true, just like so many other old wives tales.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Forget the warts...do they work as bait?

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Nope, they do not cause warts. :big_smile:

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I've heard that, but don't know if it's true.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    This should clear that myth up,I found this:

OK so those lumps on a toad's body do look a lot like warts. And that liquid that oozes from the toad's skin if you grasp it too firmly ... eck. Actually, that liquid is a poison, and it does come from the toad's warty skin and from the two largest lumps - called parotoid glands - located just behind the amphibian's eyes. But the toxin is merely a defense mechanism, emitted by the glands only under outside pressure - such as that from a would-be toad-eater's unsuspecting mouth. Most animals immediately spit toads out, though hawks and snakes gobble them with apparent impunity. Raccoons and skunks eat toads after batting them around on the ground to release and rub off the poison. Viruses - not toad secretions - cause warts. The toxin can, however, cause a local burning irritation if you handle a toad and then touch your eyes or mouth. That's why you should always wash your hands after holding a toad.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    armadillo's are the only other animal that carries leproyse . Jack Hanna was on the David Letterman show last night 6/10/2006 and told about them. Dave didn\t want to touch the thing. I have heard about the toad all my life still don't believe it . Warts are caused by a virus no real cure. Just treat the symtoms like a cold.