Toad Strangler on Wheeler!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by stumpjumper, Sep 21, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I haven't posted a fishing trip report in this section since March, so I figure I'd post one about our fun, but very wet weekend on the river. My wife and I fished a couple of back to back all nighters in AL this past weekend. It had been raining for almost a week straight and rain was definitely in the forecast for our trip, but we decided to go for it anyway. It's better than sitting at home watching the Weather Channel and wondering if the fish were biting.

Immediately after work on Friday, we hit the road with the intention to fish all night. We got there right at dusk, just in time to check on bait. We brought frozen bait just in case, which turned out to be a smart move. Overall, it was a slow night, but we were thankful that we could even fish and that we were fairly dry. Jason Bridges (j.bridges) was also on the river fishing with his wife. I think we were the only two boats out; the radar showed we were somehow dodging rain and thunderstorms, which were everywhere! Around midnight the storms moved into the area and continued on and off until 5am at which time it became a “real toad strangler”! We called it a night and starting the trip back in to set up camp… needless to say we were soaked. We did catch a few fish though. Tricia landed a nice 61-pound Blue earlier and we had a few more fish under 20 pounds.

Four hours later I was up and making some breakfast. The tent was totally saturated and turned into a sauna. Tricia managed to sleep for a few more hours, during which time I met another BOC member, Mike Mitchell (Southerncats) on his way out for a trip. We got out on the water and started to catch bait, we had used all of our frozen. We ended with a mixed batch of bream, white bass and gizzard shad. This night proved to be far more productive for us, at least for numbers. The big fish of the night were 51 and 36 pounders, but we caught fish consistently the entire night and eventually ran out of bait around 5 am. I was ready to throw the net and get some more shad, but Tricia convinced me otherwise. That’s when I realized that the lack of sleep had really caught up to us both. I’m sure glad we decided to go fishing and it was also great to meet a couple BOC members that I have corresponded with over the past year, but had never met in person.

Here are a few pictures from our trip:

Attached Files:

2. SHE-CAT

SHE-CAT New Member

State:
    Dallas, Georgia
    It sure was a wet one! We did have a good time though. I mean, just look at who caught the big fish :eek:oooh:

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great report! Congrats to you both!

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Stumpjumper ,sound like you an the wife had a good but wet trip thanks for the post

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    skips have been tough this year to say the least

6. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    My word! That sounds like a blast. Congrats on the big blue She-cat! Reps to you both.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats to both of you on the nice fish and a will to endure. WTG.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would do 2 straight all nighters in rain and thunderstorms if I was sure to get a 61lb blue!:cool2:

9. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    To go and know that your going to get your azzz wet.. That's DEDICATION my friend !!!! Congrats on the reward of catching the nice fish though......

10. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    congrats to both of you...wish we had more time just to visit a little awhile...:wink:

11. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Absolutely a great catch. Sounds like my wife, she usually outfishes me, not only the biggest but the most. Great job, great fish, and great dedication. Thanks for the pics. Have always wanted to try Wheeler But haven't got to. Congrats!!:big_smile::big_smile:

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice blue Tricia.......Oh yeah, and yours was okay too Marc :wink::smile2:.
    Sounds like a good trip, and I know y'all are glad to get a couple great fish
    this early in the fish off. Congrats to you both!

13. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Way to go Tricia and Marc.......ya'll are a GREAT team!!

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Marc & Tricia on the nice Bluecats!:big_smile: Great to see one of your reports and excellent photos again! :cool2:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice fish, Marc!

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats to both of you. I always look forward to your guy's reports. I wish my wife and I could go camp,fish and hang out on a river for a few days kid free. Man that would fun for us.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congrats on the great catches and thanks for the report. You got to meet two good ones while you were there (Mike and Jason)

Were pulling out of here Sunday for a week down there in good ole Bama. Can't wait.

Thanks again for the story and pics. Nice work!