To you guys that cut the cheese

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by wildturkey, May 19, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have just located a place to buy cheese scraps. I was told that if you got any on your car you would never get the smell out. Well, I bought 35 lbs. and when I opened it up I could smell nothing. Stuck my nose in it and smelled nothing.

My question is, do I need to rot the cheese and if so , how?

Thanks,

Jim

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We used to buy these in 55 gallon barrels.(600+ lbs per barrel and we would go through 7 or 8 per year) They were for the most part as fresh as what you eat day in and day out. We had to season it to get it to smell. We would chop it up ( There would be whole blocks of cheese in some of it) then pour hot water over the barrel of cheese. Let it set in the hot weather for a month or so. By then it was getting ready to fish with.
    Not sure how your looking to use it, if you can tell me how you plan on using it. I may be able to to give more advice on getting it ready.

We also would take say a gallon of this cheese, put in a big pot on a fire outside. Cook it and make cheese bait. This would stay on the hook and catch fish like crazy on a trot line or limb line.
    Thinking about cooking up a bunch and making some for sale.
    Pete

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Pete, if ya make cheese bait, I would definately buy some; only problem would be shipping the cheese bait:confused2:

Jaime

4. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pete,
    I was planning on just putting some of the cheese in a mesh sack and bait a hole. I am really interested in cooking it down for trotline bait. I know absolutely nothing about using cheese. You have got me excited about something new!

By the way, I pay .50cents a pound for the cheese. Is that price in the ballpark? If I can learn some new tricks it will be well worth it.

Thanks,
    Jim

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jaime not sure what shipping would run. You know I could smoke some chicken and put in the package along with the Bait. LOL

Jim its easy but hard to do. What your doing is cooking it to get the oil out of the cheese. Skim the oil off the cheese while heating it up. As after that you can slice it up. Theres a fine line that allows it to be used this way or just turn into bad cheese.
    That price in a small amount is about right. We used to get ours for 7 cents per pound. But then again we were buying 3 tons or so.
    Pete

6. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pete,
    I am going to try it. I will heat the cheese op to remove all the oil then cut it up for trotline bait. Does it need to age or anything?

What is the best way to rot the cheese to use as a chum?

Sorry so many questions.

Jim