to winterize or not??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by MoMudCat, Dec 2, 2005.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I just bought a new boat this summer. I've been reading about fishing for blues all year long. I have always seen my dad winterize his outboards by fogging them ect. My question is those of you who fish all year long, do you take any precautions with your outboard when you are not fishing?

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I don't know and am posting because I run sta-bil in mine year round. Is this a good idea?

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I been using boat motors for many years. For storage on my first 15 HP I would disconnect the fuel hose and let the motor run till it died. Almost 11 years ago I bought a new 85 HP, for the winter season I always add Sta-bil to the full fuel tank and run it for a while. I usually change the lower oil. That's all I do, seems to work for it always kicks off in the spring and I've never had any problems with the motor. As for as adding Sta-Bil all the time... I think it would waste of money if you run the motor at least once every couple months.
    They will some that have a lot more details on winter storage and that is good too. I'm just saying what has worked for me, not whats best.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the longest my boat ever sits without use is 2 maybe 3 weeks. so i never use stabil or fog mine as it is used all the time. i have some fair weather fisherman friends when he parks his boat for the winter we use stabil in the fuel fog the cylinders change lower unit oil pull the prop clean and grease the shaft and put the prop back on (also a good time to make sure you dont need a new prop or repair it) washes the boat and the engine and waxes it. changes his motor oil on the engine (4 stroke)

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I always check the lower unit oil for water before freezing weather. Mine gets used occasionally during the cold months, but I still put stabil in it just in case I end up letting it sit for a while. Mine stays indoors when parked, but if you leave yours outside, you need to make sure the motor is in a vertical position so water won't get into your prop hub area and freeze.

Also, when taking mine out of the water, I make sure the lower unit is drained good before tilting it back up for towing.

Last year, the water pressure guage froze and quit working. I had to buy a new one this spring ($40.00). I'm going to put a drain valve on the line if I ever find one.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My father inlaw use to own part of Tall Timbers Marina. This is how we winterized boats. Both I/B and O/B.
    Add stabe to fuel, let idle for awhile so that you are sure it is running thru the motor. Unplug fuel line. Let run till it dies. Change lower unit lube. (the smell of that stuff gags me). We would then take engine fog and shoot it into the pistons. Then crank the motor over acouple times. This helps to keep the rings from sticking. Unhook batteries.I take my 3 batteries in the garge and trickle charge 2 or 3 tiimes during the winter. I put moth balls in tin foil bowls and put them in my hatches. This keeps the coons and mice out. Don't want them to chew my wiring. Make sure you make a bowl out of the tinfoil. If you just put them on the floor it will eat the carpet.
    Bill :thumbsup:

7. jdRivercat

jdRivercat New Member

I live in Illinois and have a 60hp outboard it only sets on used about 1or2 months through the winter. The only thing I every do is unplug the fuel line. I also use stabil all year long have for years. My dad has done the same for 40 yrs. and we have never had a problem.

8. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Thanks for all the great info. Sat. I got in my boat to go fishing and when I started it the motor wasn't "peeing". When I took the cowling off and removed the water line it was frozen solid. I guess I could have gotten a hair dryer or heat gun and thawed it, and the heat of the motor would have kept it from freezing while on the river, but I didn't feel like going through all that. I've been boating all my life but never during the winter months. How can I keep this problem from happening??

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Be sure to tilt it down to drain the water out. Turn it over for a bit in the drive way to get the water out of the water pump.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would encourage evreyone to run some sort of fuel stabilizer year round.Bobpaul has commented on this also because todays gasolines oxidize so quickly.That gums up the carb if you have one or the injectors.It also prevents carbon build up in the cylinders.You should run some kind of carbon removers at least twice a year anyway.I change the lower unit oil 3 times a year and use synthetic oil in it.Pull the prop at least twice a year and grease the shaft.If its going to sit up then fog the cylinders and change or clean the plugs.There is much about winterization in past threads but look at it as regular maint you should be doing anyway.Make sure to drain all the water out if you regularly encounter freezing temps.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The statment, "Keeping stabil in your gas woud be a waste of money" is just an example of how little people know about today's gasoline.

It's over 1200 different additives and different alcohols to maintain octain ratings.

What does alcohol do? it traps moisture, draws it out of the air in partially filled tanks. Water then turns the alcohol to a crap additive in your gas.

Those that have older engines and mix there gas, this water laiden alcohol in todays gas will cause the oil to seperate, aka, phase seporation. Now what will your older engine get, the crappy gas that won't lubricate, or the oil that won't burn.

Things change. They ain't like what dad used to do or the products he used. they just don't excist any more. Did your dad ever hear of stabil or was it even in existance when there was leaded gas out there.

I'll use a stabilizer on a regular basis because I don't trust the gas. Heaven forbid that anyone would spend their hard earned pocket change on preventative maintenance. I will !!!

How's that Jim?

12. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am a fairly new boat owner and had my motor winterized a a local shop last year, but am considering going for walleye this winter. How do you drain water from the lower end? And changing the lower unit lub? I have a 96 evenrude 70 hp. Thanks everyone. Hannibal Mike

13. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Hey Hannibal Mike,
    I am from Louisiana, MO. Where about do you fish up there? About the furthest north I've been fishing is up around Cinncinatti Landing.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Bobpaul all we can do is keep trying to educate folks particularly about modern gasolines.

15. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i dont see where anyone made a statement of not useing stable becasue it is a waste of money. but i aint trying to state a argument here. i dont use it most of the time because i use my boat all the time. but i do have to disagree on one comment in a way. yea we all know gas sucks anymore these days but i have found at least where i am at. there is some stations that do have decent fuel. its like with anything buy cheap you get cheap. yes i know all about fuel rebranding etc. i wont go into detail on my knowledge of it as it would make some people cringe. but as bob stated if your going to let it sit yes by all means use stabil or another good brand of stabilizer. and since i broke my foot yesterday i guess my boat is getting stabil for its first time in the 10 years of its life. dang ill miss most of my winter fishing :cursing: only good side to this is i aint gotta work lol

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guys, maybe some might need to re-read the last of my post.

I'll add this......... and that is for the last 35 years if I count all the motors I've owned.

A Merry Christmas to all on BOC. :)

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I see no reason to winter a boat if you use it all year. The gas will not go bad because it is run thru the motor. I would change lower unit lube once ayear tho.
    my 2 cents
    Bill
    Mutt sorry about the foot.

18. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Mutt, I broke my foot about 3 months ago and bought my boat about 2.5 months ago. It made loading and unloading tough but other than that I still used it every week. Of course it will be better when you can put some weight on it.

19. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    bites have a broke foot lol the problem i have is the walk from the dock to the truck etc. wife dont know how to drive the boat onto the trailer and then hook the strap up so i could just stay in the boat but even then getting out of it once out of the water is a pain lol. no biggie gives me a chance to do a few things to it anyways like i wanted to shampoo the carpet polish it up etc

20. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I will tell you what i have been doin for the past 5 years, I put stabil in the fuel tank on my estimated last trip of the year, so it is ran through the engine all day so i know it is all the way through, then i just unplug the fuel line let it run till dead drain fully at boat ramp and park it in the garage. It is a 40 horse tiller by mercury. It has fired right up each spring too.