To V or not V: That is my question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by IrishO'Brady, Nov 3, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    My question for you guys is relatively simple :

I'm looking to buy an aluminum boat (Seaark Rivercat Classic or V-Cat)

Thsese boats are identical with exception to the fact that the v-cat has a
    15 degree V. Will that make riding in busy lakes a much smoother ride, or will I not notice the difference? Also will I be greatly limited as to where I can take the V? Does anyone know how deep a 15 degree V runs, or what the dept difference is between it and the standard Rivercat Classic? I fish Rivers and lakes, so I just want some versatility without being beaten to death by chop.

Thanks guys, soon as I get all this sorted out Im gonna go for it.

-Chris

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The 15 degree deadrise on the V-Cat will ride a lot smoother in choppy water - it will tend to cut through the waves rather than bounce over the top of them.

Not sure what the deadrise on the Rivercat is but I'd guess about 5 or 6 degrees.

My Xpress has a 7 degree modified V - it tapers from 18 degrees at the front to 7 at the transom. And I really dislike the way it rides in rough water. It's beautiful on the river where there are no waves, but on the local lakes I fish, it's not much fun.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will never not v again. I will always v from now on.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a flat bottom it rides rough on wake infact if youve got any speed at all it will flat beat you to death , my brother vern has a v it cuts the wake quite well . the flat bottom when sitting still rides out a wake better , it takes a realy large wake to rock the boat , that and the fact that theres more room in a flat gives it advantage over the v imo but the v would be better when running alot .

i prefer too fish comfortibly as opposed to running the river .

5. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    the classic is a 3 deg V. i have a alumacraft with the the 3 deg V and it is rough wish i had the V.
    My next will be the 24 cub with the 15 deg V. at 72 in across the bottom you will still have the room the sides are a little lower with the V, but you can get the bigger live well!! now with the wind at 15 mph i dont go, withe the V i would never be home. good luck i know it is hard.
    by the way the draft without the motor on is 6-7 in diff.

6. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Chris
    I if get another boat it will be a v bottom. I have an 1993 bass tracker, it is basically a 1648 jon boat with carpet, seats and steering wheel. I really like it but on rough water it bobs like a cork.
    If and when I get another boat I am thinking Boston Whaler or a pontoon.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    V is definitely the best, we have a Deep-V and it's awesome in the lake even when it's rough. And we have went out with other people in Flat Bottoms and it was rough.

8. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I guess it depends on your need to hit the shallow water. My Rivercat drafts more water than I'd hoped and I'm sure the 15 degree hull is much worse. Do you want a comfey ride or to not have to watch the depth dinder too close?

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The tradeoff is on stability. A flat bottom boat is more stable then a modified or deep V.
    The other major tradeoff would be engine size. Any V requires more engine to match the performance of a flat bottom. The deeper the V the larger the engine.
    These days I'm willing to slow down on the water if it means I can run a smaller engine on a boat that is basicly on plane sitting in the water rather then having to hang a big outboard off the back just to get it up and out of the water.

10. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    My 3 degree hull totes a 60 gallon livewell. How much livewell are you after anyway???:roll_eyes:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I were you ride in both then decide.
    Also mine is 12 degree and 72" in the bottom. Does not rock like people are talking.
    Also even with the 140 Suzuki 4-stroke the boat will still get so shallow I can even use the trolling motor.
    My next one will be 15 degree or better. Ride to me is a lot better then shallow running.
    But then again the Tn river is not shallow like some peoples river.
    Pete

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    so chris have you got the new boat yet ? and what have you chose ? just curious , and hope it suites you well what ever you choose

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have seen the v cat in person and on the water it is definetly faster than the rivercat. It gets on plain and plain ole hauls butt. Very nice boat. It definetly would be my choice for tournaments.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    WHen you start getting up around the 18 degree deadrise at the transom is when the rocking will be really noticeable while sitting still or trying to:big_smile:
    Some of those offshore "wetboats" run 24's and they are aweful for occupant comfort and the reason you got twin 300's and 280 gallons of fuel onboard.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There are definately advantages & disadvantages to either hull types, mine is flatbottomed & it can get rough but one nice thing is that it doesn't "wake" the people it other boats when you pass by them.

Also around here there are so many "no-wake" zones that it will help you from getting an $$$$ ticket:smile2:

16. bobcat

bobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got a new boat this year and I looked at all types. Fell in love with the Carolina Skiff's. Plenty of room and can be rigged out for any type of fishing you want to do. Mine is a SV1980 w/90 4-stroke and works for crappie, r&r, jugging, trotlines, etc. Drafts 6-10" depending on the way you rig out. Run great in rough water and is comfortable similiar to a smaller pontoon. I would think it is an all around boat for anything. Plus the 4-stoke isn't eating me out of house or home.:cool2:

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Mine is very similar, it is a 20' Southern Skimmer. If I can get a digital camera, I'll send you some pics. I've got it powered with a 70hp-4stroke Suzuki. It tops out about 33mph

18. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Some excellent comments. My humble .02 is you have to determine where you will be fishing most. Preferring "skinny" water -I have a Predator center console skiff. With this hull , I draw 3 1/2" water.In very shallow bayous you can go over a sunken log easily by raising the motor or go thru extensive mud flats on a very stable platform. You can "get up" in very shallow water.Drawbacks of a skiff bottom: In open lakes or rivers you will get beat up with swells or a moderate chop running on plane(and wet too) which is not nice in the winter.

19. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have a 18' vpld with the 15 degree hull. I absolutly love it. I have an old Evinrude 70 on the back it it does really well. Last time I fished a tournament I took it up in a slough. My depth finder said .9 but I'm sure it was deeper than that. I did have it trimed to where the prop was barely in the water and I could feel the bottom of the boat bouncing off the bottom of the river a little. So, I don't think you would have any shallow water issues, I weight 190lbs and I can stand on the siderail of the boat easy...no stability issues. It does make a world of difference when the whitecaps come up on the river thought!! I have not seen the v-cat in person, but looking at it on the Sea Ark web site, It looks like the ultimate fishing machine to me!

20. damcodon

damcodon New Member

State:
    Quincy, Illinoi
    After fishing the 2072VPLD all last year and loving it, we have traded for a new V-Cat. Should be in any day. The 15 degree bottom is the only way to go. I think the V-Cat will be the ultimate all around fishing and boating machine. It gives up a little floor space with the seats forward and the 60 gal. livewell under the back deck. But it should be great for not only the BIG CAT tournaments, but will be great for Bass and Crappie fishing as well. Just the perfect set up. I have run Ranger bass boats my whole life, but am now into the Seaark line to stay. Total versatility for hunting and fishing. Anxious, Anxious, Anxious. Can't wait to get it on the water.