TO TRIGGER OR NOT TO TRIGGER

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Bacardipr05, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey guys just want to ask a question about casting rods. I am fairly new to bait casting. Purchasing my first casting rod to practice early fall. It had a pistol grip/trigger on it. I am looking for a new rod. However the three rods that I am looking at none have the pistol grip on it. Would this be problem for a newbie like me or is it better for me to stick with the pistol grips.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Get the one with the trigger. It just sets in your hand better and gives ya more control.

3. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Bacardi,
    When using larger style reels like 7000s, or even with 6500s, I don't think the trigger makes much of a difference. When you are fighting fish, your hand will be on the foregrip anyway, not palming the reel. The only time you will grip the trigger is when casting, as far as I'm concerned. That being said, the two cat rods I have both have triggers, but I really don't see much of a use for them. For something like bass fishing, this is a totally different story. You palm the smaller reel while gripping the trigger while working lures. It gives you a better grip and better control. Just my opinion. What rods are you looking at?

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the input guys. Seems like the all the rods I am looking at don't have the trigger on them.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Being a bass fisherman too :crazy: I was worried about not having a trigger on the 8ft Nite Sticks Pro's that I bought. However, after using them some I don't see any difference at all. I have been using baitcasters for a long time so I don't know if it would make any difference for someone just starting out like yourself or not. I highly doubt that it would. If the rods you want don't have a trigger then that's what you need to learn how to use anyway. I'd just order them and cast away. It's going to be kinda rough at first no matter what style rod you choose anyway:wink:

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Funny you mentioned the that Nite Stick that is one of them......Lol.... The other is a custom wrapped rod and the third one escapes me....

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I kind of like a trigger, too, but it really limits your rod choices when you get into the heavier equipment. The Surge and Jim Moyer rods do have a trigger I believe.

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think if your going to be casting a lot the trigger would make sense. I do most of my fishing from a boat so I'm not really slinging a lot of bait any distance. I do not think you will miss the trigger.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never use the trigger. Heck for that matter I never notice it's even there.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A fishing rod doesn't need a trigger!!! You're not going to shoot the fish are you? triggers are for firearms.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Well it looks like I am going to be a (hopefully) a proud owner of custom Seeker rod. Non-Trigger hopefully I will like it..... I do all my fishing from bank for the most part using rod holders....... I still may get a rod with a trigger on it.... It just the choices are limited especially with the longer rods......

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's going to depend on the type of rod. With the exception of the longer surf rods (usually over 10 feet) most of the rods made for baitcasting reels have a trigger type reel seat. The ones without them are made for spinning reels. If you use a spinning rod, it's got the large eye close to the reel. It will also sit up taller than the reel. This will slow down the line faster than the spool is slowing down causing backlashes. Also you don't want to use a baitcasting rod with the small eye for a spinning reel as the line comes off in a big loop and won't go through the small eye correctly.

I wouldn't worry as much about wether or not is has a trigger or not, but the correct eyes for the type of reel you're using.

13. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Some rod holders,(boat type) and triggers don't work good together, I've ground a couple off, boat fishing I don't like them, bank fishing their ok.
    Jim

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats right Jim. One of my buddy's had to cut the trigger off of a brand new rod because there wasn't room enough for his 7000 strap. No triggers for me they are just a knob in the way. lol

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Well I guess I'm gonna have to get rid of a few of my rods! LOL! They may not work for you but I likes em!!!!!!!!! Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it. LOL!:wink:

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I personaly like trigers for casting for fighting fish it dont matter much :0a26::006:

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks guys I won an auction with a custom made Seeker Rod. It doesn't have a trigger I hope that I will like it. In the event I am seeking a two piece rod with a trigger also on it. I figured with the rod holder they would be a problem. (the trigger type).

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Angel it's up to the individual I think. I have about 8 casting rods, and only two have triggers on them. Neither are catfish rods(bass). But I'm comfortable with all of them. :cool2:

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Beefing up the Arsenal for the flats phillycat. :wink: Thanks for the input.