To trick or not to trick, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have oogled some great kayak outfitting on the various internet sites where there are yakkers that live and breathe such stuff. Funny thing is that I have never been motivated to jump on the big upgrade bandwagon. In fact, every time I get the hankerin' to trick my yak, I go fishing; I get cured almost instantly.

I find that every time I go through the load and unload procedure, I find myself leaving more behind. Who needs a rod in every rod holder? In fact, simplicity and efficiency is the key to a fulfilling outing on the water.

You'll never drive a Winnebago down the Appalachian Trail. A hiker that successfully makes the 2,200-mile trek will tell you that every ounce matters. The same holds true for a great kayak fishing experience, in my opinion.

The key to a great kayak fishing configuration is the platform--the kayak itself. New angler models come outfitted with everything you need, just about. You need a comfortable seat, absolutely. A good anchor system, well appointed storage, recessed and swivel rod mounts, easy dry storage access: all are important factors to consider. Stability is another factor to watch for; a stable kayak will not need outriggers (unless you are fly fishing standing up, perhaps).

On my kayak I can only think of three things that I need to add: a rudder, an anchor trolley, and a camera mount. The rest came pre-installed.

And about the equipment, I'll continue fine tuning downward. For instance, do I really need a catfish rod? I've seen some great line spool ideas that are hand deployed over the side that don't require a long rod. Perhaps you have other space-saving and/or weight-saving ideas to share!

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Are you kidding? I'm installing a full kitchen to fry fish, a satilite dish for the fishing shows. Thinking of maybe taking out the air seat and puttin in a lazy boy:big_smile:. No, but I completely agree with you on the packing and un packing. I've noticed myself also bringing less stuff each time. Soon I'll be down to a lighter and a stick of dynomite:crazy:. I start to load things up at the house and vision the drag to the water, or barely being able to move my legs due to the wires and bungies and whatnots that gets in the way. I don't even take my fish finder anymore. Used to take 3 rods but now I'm down to one smaller one with lighter line. If the fish is 20# or more he'll pull me around anyways and if there were more lines in the water odds are he'd tangle everthing up. I think that I really go fishing in the kayak now not to catch fish but to just get out there for the piece and quiet.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the least you can have to get the job done is the best amount. I feel rediculous when I overload.

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    You had me definitely laughing there, Creteus! :smile2:

Interesting point about the fish finder there too. Mine, received as a Christmas gift, still sits in the original package, opened but never installed or used.

My wife always complains that I work too hard at fishing. Maybe that's why I'm reluctant to install the fish finder... :wink:

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have my Ocean Kayak Big Game equipped with a fish finder (Use it constantly), Hand held GPS ( used to track my path and mark structure) I fish in salt marshes a lot and sometimes you cannot see over the top of the reeds and its easy to get turned around in the creeks. Anchor trolley and stake out pole. 2 rods and a tackle bag takes care of the fishing gear. A plastic milk crate in the rear tank well holds boga grip, (lots of toothy fish down here) rescue line, bug spray, sun screen, pee cup, measuring board, marker buoys, 4 foot cast net, bait bucket ,fins,mask and snorkle and folded fish bag. Small cooler also in rear tank well holds lunch and drinks. Front hatch holds battery for electronics and 4 or 5 pool noodles. The noodles will float the yak and me should a puncture occur and can be used as emergency flotation. Life vest with pliers, whistle and knife attached round out the basics. To launch I put the Yak in the water, set the milk crate, cooler and tackle bag in, rods in the rear rod holders, life vest on and I'm done. Sounds like a lot but only takes about 5 minutes from truck to water. Oh yes, the paddle and stake out pole are always attached to the yak...

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I've down sized alot too. Fish finder, anchor trolly, anchor if its windy, 5 gallon bucket with bait, knife, tackle container, fish bag, scale, and 2 poles in the rod holders. The only thing I would change on my outfitting is I would like Scotty adjustable rod holders, instead of the surface mount holders.

7. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Get yourself a good Camel Back to hydrate..
    Same importance as a ood lifejacket with a good whistle.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Thank yall for these interesting posts.

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Great thread!

As my screen name implies, I am a kayak fisher also. I striper fish as well as catfishing, but have still managed to limit what I take on the yak, less clutter make me feel better on the water!

I do enjoy my FishFinder, can't live without it! everything that I carry in my yak fits into a milkcrate. I normally take three rods.

Catching a big fish on the yak is a blast! Can't wait to catch a big kittie!

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome, Greg. It's great to have you on board with the BOC!

:0a25:

11. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks, I have enjoyed all the info on this board, its huge!

Glad to see there are other kayak fishers on here, I started last december, and have never had more fun fishing! My current yak is a wilderness systems ride 135, I use an eagle fishmark 320 FF, scotty rod holders and fish Lake Lanier. The current record cat on Lanier is only 14#, I think a 38,000 acre lake holds some bigger ones, would be cool to find it on the yak!