To Tie or Not - Factory pre-tied leaders or use your own fishing leaders?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by neocats, Apr 8, 2009.

Whick leaders do You use

1. I use store bought leaders

2. I tie my own

3. I don't use leaders

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    How many people use factory pre-tied leaders as apposed to tieing their own? I have always tied my own, but I am thinking about trying some factory-made leaders for a while to see how they work.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I never have used leaders, but after reading some of the posts on BOC I am goning to tie my own and try them.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I don't use leaders or swivels.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have more confidence when I tie my own. If using dip baits and Looper Rigs ( Which I love) I cut the leaders off and tie new own. I also use color changes for different pound test leaders.

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I also use different colors to keep my poundage straight. I always tie my own, snell all offset hooks and palomar knots on the rest.

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Actually I use both, depending on the chances of losing rigs and how fast I can rig a new hook setup. I really haven't had a problem with pre-tied leader breaking. They seem to be as good as hand tied, least for me. Either one is good as far as I'm concerned. One thing I do like when fishing for flats though is using heavy duty swivels and pre-tied heavy mono or steel leaders. They have never failed me and the steel wire is very good on structure abrasion. Tight lines.

:cool2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I seldom use leaders unles I'm rigged with a slip sinker. Then I tie my own,Nothing against factory jobs,Just the fact that I can buy unrigged hooks way cheaper ,And I like variety. I might use a 18" leader or a 4' leader .If I'm using a bank sinker ,I use a loop knot about 18" up from my weight and loop it through the hook eye.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres another for tying my own, though I havent had many factory ones break. I just like the variety of length, line. I do have some I use for bluegill fishing though, its getting too hard to thread them small hooks.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking about switching to dog Chane. No swivels and no lead weights and use key rings to attach the hooks. It would cut cost and be stretch and abrasion resistant! :wink:

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i tie mine gives me somthing to do in the off seasen and i save a few bucks that way as well

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont use leaders or swivels
    smokey

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm another one that likes to tie his own leaders. Once in a great while I'll use pre-tied Eagle Claw leaders with hooks, but that's for bait fishing Wipers or Walleye. I like the diversity of tying my own, because of the leader length for different depth conditions. I'll run a 3 to 4' leader when drifting blood bait for Channel Cats. Also I'll use different break strength leaders too. When fishing fast water, Ill go with no leader at all. The weight will run all the way to the hook. That keeps line twist from forming.

Just go with the flow and experiment!! That's how I roll..

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Can you get 40# mono tied to premium circle hooks on the cheap? I tie up circles with the uni snell. It's pretty fast once you get on to it. I used to pretie them all but it is too hard to organize.

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    95% of the time i tie my own factory stuff seems to do fine also at least for me

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like to tie my own also, that way if my knot fails i have no one to blame but myself:confused2:

16. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I tie my own, 95% of the time, the rest of the time I use store bought. I use store bought steel leaders when fishing the ocean.

17. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    I like tying my own that way I know the quality of the tie and leader material. I'm an old school man, like doing things myself.

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I tie my own also. It doesn't cost me anything to cut off 2 feet of line and make a leader.

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I quit using swivels and leaders a long time ago,, recently tried using them after reading some stuff on the site here.. and have quit using them again....

20. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Started out with store boght but now I tie my own. Never had a problem with a store bought one I just like doing it myself. I use a double line with a no-knot snell.