To those who might know?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by STUMPKNOCKER, May 20, 2007.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    with blues starting to show up in the altamaha river, what impact of any will it have on the flathead population, and the channels?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    they shouldnt have much...here in kentucky in my opinion i dont think they put a damping on the fishing

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when small, blues and channels will school together, that's about the only new thing you should notice!

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    maybe a small competition between the falts and blues for food? probably the only difference is more fish!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    No problems. The fish will feed more competitively. This will be a plus for the fisherman.:lol::big_smile:

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Your blues and channel will school togetherI have found that the bigger blues will stay off by themselfs. So when I find a school of cats I ways look just off the deeper waters and most of the time I will find some bigger fish holding there.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Right now the biggest i have seen is maybe 8-10#, how long in years do u think it will be till i can fish a gill head for a 30# or up?

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If theres 8 to 10 lbrs in there, then theres more than likely already 30 lbrs in there.Somethin had to have those smaller fish and a mature old enough to spawn blue should be at least 10 to 20 lbs or bigger.If the ones it had are already are 8 to 10 lbs then it should be at least in the 30's if they are having a normal growth rate.This is just a rough estimant based on growth charts and studies that I've read.They may have an even faster growth rate on the Altamaha.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The blues may depress the channels a bit, but prolly not much. Blues and flatheads tend to live together pretty happily - the blues' diets are a bit different: they'll eat clams, fiddler crabs, shrimp, and whatever. They are incredibly flexible. When blues do eat fish, it's usually the schooling baitfish types (like menhaden, shad - that sort of thing) rather than the brim and smaller cats and such that flatheads prefer.

The blues also prefer decent size water. From the one trip I made to the lower Altamaha, I am thinking they will absolutley love the tidewater stretches from a bit below Altamaha park down to where it gets too salty for them. In the river above there I would expect to see mostly small blues - nice eaters - with an occasional good fish (above 10) for a surprise bonus. This is pretty much the situation on the Edisto. If your tops now are 10 pounds, I'd expect that to go a couple of pounds per year at first. Once they get bigger, it will start to level off.

10. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I do not think the impact will be to bad as blues seem to coexist pretty well in the bigger rivers ( Missouri, Missisippi and the Ohio ) and the altamaha is a real fertile watershed with a good forage base, Blueback herring, and assorted shad species for the blues. It is entirely possible that it will make the flatheads even more aggresive feeders.