To those in the club with SI units...

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The new software update for the HB SI units is supposed to be available today on the HB site.

The 2D is greatly enhanced with better arches etc. but what hasn't been talked about much is the SI Enhancement. Field Testers have made comments such as "WOW".

Both the 2D and SI are supposed to pick up those bottom-hugging fish and really make them POP after the update!

Can't wait to give it a look-see!:cool2:

2. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If you need instructions and tip how to access, set-up acoount and
    download please read this document:Humminbird How To's":
    http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/files/Humminbird_How_To_s_for_Customers_
    II.pdf
    It will get you the information to download the new FREE Software
    Updates!

HERE the INFO:

Software update is now available for consumers to download from
    hummminbird.com for these models:

768, 787c2, 787c2i, 788c, 788ci, 797c2, 797c2i, 798c, 798ci

917, 955, 957, 997

1155, 1157, 1197

This software update (v4.510) adds these features:

Supports the XM NavWeather accessory.

Supports AIS receivers. (1100 models only)

Adds new 2D sonar processing techniques, including the ablity to turn
    off TVG.

Adds SI Image Enhancement features. (SI models only) *

Supports operation of the CannonLink accessory across an InterLink
    accessory. *

Modifies the Depth Offset menu item to shift the sonar image, not
    just the digital depth. *

Expands Water Type selections to include deep and shallow salt water.

Adds Waypoint Decluttering control. *

Adds Demonstration mode menu item to disable point-of-sale mode when
    using a transducer with no thermistor.

Fixes the color of shoreline construction on Navionics charts.

* (all models except new color 700 models, which already had these
    features)

Thank You Tom Vickers for Listening and your hard work getting these
    new features to us!

Thanks
    Doug
    SI Group Founder

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What the heck is "TVG" ?

Good to know I can turn it off now if I want... :wink:

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    TVG is "Time Variable Gain" which the units use automatically by default (I believe). It makes a 40 lb fish at 50 foot deep echo the same size return as a 40lb fish at 10 ft. deep, unlike the 'other' brand which will show a MUCH larger arch for the shallower fish.

Now you can turn it off, which I believe results in the enhanced displays possible. I am sure there is more to it than that and I could be talking out my posterior. I suggest you read up on it at HB's site or the yahoo SI users group forum.:wink:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Watch it, buddy - that's *my* job...

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    So I have heard and read!:smile2::wink:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for posting that Skip! I don't have the *Side Imaging* unit, but IMO I have the next best thing! :wink: The 917 with the quadrabeam transducer which is still very nice to have in shallow water!:wink:

For those of you without a Humminbird, I just want to add that these units are soooo easy to use! I purchased mine last year and immediately registered on the Humminbird website. When I did that, it advised me that there was an update available for the unit. Humminbird makes this very easy to download onto an SD card. Once it's on the SD card, all you have to do is simply plug it in to the unit and the unit takes over from there!

Thanks again Skip!

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks for taking the time to share that nugget of information buddy. I need to get my card out and load it with the new update!

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    My unit is even more simpler than that folks. This little $150 baby can show me that there is a bottom to the river, somewhere down there. No, really, it can. Ok, it doesn't always do that, but it can sometimes.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Cool! I was looking at some stuff on Lowrance's attempt at SI to be released this year and saw there was an update out for the HB SI units. I checked last night and it wasn't available yet.

Anybody want to take bets on when the first lawsuit is filed for patent infringement after somebody from HB gets ahold of the other guys' code for SI and sees what they've done?:smile2:

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    They were good for a target separation of 2.5" at 100 feet or less.

Any documentation on what the target separation is now?

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All I know is that I know very little at this point. If I have the time to dig, or come across some tidbit I'll post it.:wink:

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Thanks for the heads up Darryl. I have been visiting my HB account page regularly to see if the update was available.

It will be great to get that crappy old version out of my machine. I believe I downloaded a version with some sort of virus:
    It only seemes to show fish that aren't hungry:wink::wink::wink:
    ...W

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO, that problem isnt only indigenous to the Hummingbirds Winston. My Lowrance showed those same locklipped fish as well :smile2:

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    So its not unique to cheap Eagles

16. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I may be able to come up with the money to buy a 798. I have been reading up on the si and one guy said they do not work that well in rivers. How is you guys experience with them on rivers? Does any one in here have a 798 and can you tell me about them?

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Patrick I have the 797 and it works just as well on the MO as it does on a lake - which is great.

I was concerned as well when I first got it about what the amount of sediment in the MO would do to it's ability to "see", but it's not a problem. I love mine and would have a hard time going back to a regular unit.

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I updated my 797 last night. I hooked it up to my homemade 12V power supply and loaded the update in the basement. I played around in the demo mode for a little bit, and noticed a few new things. There is a new downrigger feature, the up to date weather feature (not the weathersense), and some smart cast feature.... I didn't really get into the options to look for new stuff.

I downloaded the new Humminbird PC while I was at it. That's pretty cool. You can view your routes and waypoints on Google Earth. It seem pretty freaking accurate too!!!

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's cool! I need to quit being so cheap and buy the cable so I can hook up to the laptop. I think I am going to spring for a y cable and regular transducer like Skip and Gary F. have done. I think I can get the cable and a quadrabeam 'ducer for less than $150. Don't really know why other than I feel the need to do something with the ol' graph and I don't have the jack to upgrade to a 997:smile2:

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I don't have the cable to hook to the CPU either. I just stuck the SD card in a SD card reader and then loaded the file directly on the card. The fish finder will recognize its on there.