To the pro's, how to fish this RIVER????!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Oct 18, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Look guys, I have caught my fair share of big blues, but i gotta tell ya, this river is really burning me out. Its nothing but a big lake right now. I am curious to know what some of the big time blue cat guys are doing. The lack of current makes things tough no doubt, but someone somewhere knows how to defeat this pattern. Is anyone having big success with the bluecats on the Ohio right now? Drifting, isnt working, anchoring isnt working, bottom bouncing, suspended with floats, using skips, shad, gills, liver, yellow bellys, anything I can find! What is going on here, how can we get these fish to feed??????????????????:sad2::angry:

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Its a shame your having so much trouble catching the big blues Travis. Me and a buddy smoked them last night on skips, shad, gills, livers, yellow bellys, and we caught them drifting, bottom bouncing, anchoring, and using floats. We caught atleast 30 fish over 30lbs. There were 3 idiots in a boat just down river from us with burnoculars. We made fun of them all night.:big_smile::smile2::wink::tounge_out::big_smile:. We didnt see them catch anything all night!! Those poor fellas

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Somehow I knew you would be chiming in on this, that was hilarious though I have to give that to ya!!!:smile2:....I ask the question for you and I..:wink:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    might try noodling them :roll_eyes:

BTW, Robin, I see you have only dropped one thanks on here since joining, did you accidently do that? LMAO! rollo

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've been having that kind of luck all year long on the Ohio and the Big Sandy. I haven't caught a Blue and very few Channels and Flatties. I mainly target Flatties up this way, not as many Blues up this way but their in there I've been told. If you figure it out please share the info!:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    guys i am afraid that untill these lake conditions are over and we get some current we are in for a tough bite!! i fished with wolfman this morning near evansville and only produced one fish and a few bites while anchored on a submerged root wad... but i will tell you that most of the fish we found were in about 6ft of water on the inside of a bend and we found numerous fish suspended and scattered but couldnt buy a bite drifting. guys if you think about it when we have current these fish lay behind leges or dropoffs ,behind structure or in small holes on the bottom out of the current waiting for the current to bring them their next meal most of the time!!! well in these currentless lake like conditions these river fish dont know how to act... they are more likely to be scattered instead of stacked in a particular hole and it is very likely that they are suspended on their search for food since there is no current to push them down behind structure and bring food floating by so if you are dragging the bait on the bottom you may be missing fish. be sure to cover the water column with rods at different depths to try to pick up some of these scattered fish !! thats my thoughts on it from my experience in these conditions ... any other thoughts???

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know I will be honest Ive never knew how to, and yes I must have hit the "thank member" button on accident.lol. After reading your quote I reallized that it was that big long button at the bottom of every quote. Buy the way I thanked you for bringing that to my attention. :tounge_out:. is that how people get awards by the way? Been wondering that sense I joined.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Your absolutley right, these scattered fish make this very very difficult. I am very nervous that even when winter gets here this river is not gonna come up, or it will be one extreme to another, no current to extreme flood conditions. you know the times when refridgerators and oldsmobiles are coming down river....:eek:oooh:......I am determined to figure this out though, we had the one outing about a month ago where we caught close to 300lbs of fish in one night, just when you are frustrated enough that seems to happen and buys your sanity another 2 years of fishing. There are always those guys that manage to catch fish though. I had a tourney a week ago and the same 2 guys as usual came back with fish, so obviously there is a way around these conditions, just makes you wonder what they are doing ya know? This seems to be the usual summer river conditions around here latley, just really want to get it figured out. The guides around here are still putting food on the table right? So what the heck are they doing that we aren't? Dropping concusion gernades down I guess??!!:eek:oooh::smile2::sad2:

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know, me and travis have been seeing tons of fish suspended as much as 20 to 30 feet in a fifty foot deep spot and we have been trying to suspend baits. As a matter of fact last night while drifting and anchored in 45 feet of water there were fish suspended at 25 feet. I dropped 2 rods straight of the back of the boat and you can see our rigs on our graph plain as day. We realed them up to exactly 25 foot mark with fresh skipjack, fresh shad, gut pockets. nothing. we have tried this for many trips in a row. Thing is Were not having any problems at all finding the fish, we just can't get them to bite. You know come to think of it, last year we had absolutly no current for about a 3 month stretch in The Meldahl pool and Travis and i were still catchin fish in deep water on the bottom. Had one night with no current where a buddy and I caught 30 blues in one night. It wouldnt be so bad if I would catch a decent blue evan every other trip but I havent had a Blue in the boat over 20 lbs sense 2007 and I have been fishin my A$$ off. We very rarely went out last year and didnt atleast catch 4 or five fish. Honestly I don't see how this year was to much different from last year. We were in evan worse conditions last year but still managed to boat fish. Travis is right though someone out there is more than likely catching good fish right now and any other info would be appreciated.