To "Stabil" ize your fuel or not?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catsrking, Aug 28, 2007.

1. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have heard the best ways to prep your gasoline gadgets, ie; lawn mowers, weedeaters, etc., for winter is to either use a fuel stabilizer, like Stabil, or to drain the fuel tank and run fuel lines & engine dry of fuel. What is y'alls thoughts on this topic?

2. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I put Stabil in all of my 2 cycle gas fuel. I have a tractor and Totota pickup that I don't use until hunting season I put twice the recommended amount. Havn't had a fuel problem in yrs. Have to watch it. It has a use by date also.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Simple, I do what BubbaKat said to do. LOL

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like Seafoam for some reason. StaBil also good

Aside: Lawerence, if my eyesight is bad and I pretend to see by swinging my head side to side when women go by does that count as looking?

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK I am going to throw this out there again as we have discussed this many times before.Fuel stabilizer is NOT just for storage.Todays gasolines are crap and deteriorate within 30 days or less.Why do you think the TCW-3 oils came out.To counteract the carbon and crap from the gasolines we get today.You should add stabilizer to all your fuel for 2 cycles all the time.I use PRI-G which I get at West Marine.It is the best I have used ever.Some experts recommend running all the fuel out for long time storage,some dont.Since I use my stuff on a continous basis I dont run anything dry.:smile2:

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry Jim, but I guess I missed the previous discussions. :big_smile: Appreciate the insite.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use StaBil in my boat motors for winter storage... 14 years, starts and runs like new. Also use it in other small motors that are not run over the winter.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Dayton. It works for me. I also use some sea foam on my second trip to clear everything up.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sea foam---

Dayton, I'll convert you yet.:smile2:

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Willard I use StaBil like Dayton in my Harley, and all my small motors. Had really good service. What's the upside to Seafoam? I haven't ever tried it, but did notice it is more in evidence on the shelves.....

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    John, if you swing your head, it is not looking... That is staring. LOL

Guess this thread has sort of dissolved into a circle hooks type thread. You do, or you don't. As many people as I have seen on the board asking BubbaKat for help, me being one of them, I just gotta feel he knows what he is talking about. Seafoam it is...

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    If Bubbakat says it is good I believe it. I have been using seafoam for approx a year now after reading about it on one of his posts and never get below 6 cans in my shop.
    Bill

13. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    He's made a convert of me, too...

14. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I run some Seafoam in my boat, lawnmower,3 wheeler and other small engines all year round,Go around and treat the cars and trucks time to time also.
    I treat my diesel with power service every tank and every once in a while it gets a dose of Seafoam also.
    I had my local parts store bring in a case of it for me to use and now they have a lot of customers.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Gary I have used stabil before several times and it is a great product. It is exactly what it says it is. A fuel stabilizer. Now seafoam on the other hand does what stabil does with this added attraction for me, it also cleans the fuel system like no other cleaner I have seen and it also is safe to use in any 2 stroke motor or 4 stroke diesel or gas.

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I stabe all my stuff. If you run out the gas out you could get rust in the tank. Thats why I fill the tanks before storing and adding stabe.
    Bill

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    That stuff is good! I put in all my gas tanks, lawn mower, boat, and 4-wheeler, if I had one!:smile2:

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did I mention that Seafoam is good:wink:

19. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard, I'm hard of hearin, did you say that stuff is any good? LOL:0a10:

20. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    See there, ask and ye shall receive. I'm gonna have to find some of this Seafoam and give it a whirl.