To Spawn or not to Spawn? That is the question..

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ultramindbrk, Jun 5, 2009.

1. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So..What is the final answer..I have heard both sides..Is it a good time to catch fish or not? I have heard that the cats go into the creeks for spawning and thats a great time to catch em. Then I have heard they slow down and the fishing is slow..If someone could nail this down for me,I would appreciate it...I could google it,but what fun would this site be if everyone googled thier questions, right? :tounge_out:

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around here the channels spawn first and never stop biting. The Blues spawn and the big fish bite dies off for 3 to 4 weeks in july. But ya can catch 1 to 5 lb eaters like crazy. About 2 week after the blue spawn starts the flats do it for the same number of weeks and the same thing the bite just goes dead for 3 to 4 weeks. Then the bite picks back up slow the first week of aug it seems and just gets better till cold water shuts em down. Noticed the same pattern on other waters like the osage. And a few other members in dif big rivers, in other states I have talked to.The dates are dif but the same pattern.

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    with the colder weather lately who knows when it will actually begin. i have read some things that say when the water is consistently higher than 70 degrees it kicks them into the mood for lovin. but with it taken so long to get to be consistenly above 70 who knows when it will start or finish.
    at least when it does start i can focus more on working on my boat, without being distracted by catching fish.