To snell or not to snell

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bill in SC, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This comes up often here on the BOC, as to what type knots to uses for various applications. Though the snell is technically NOT a knot, it has been proven through research that when used in conjunction with circle hooks, the snell WILL INCREASE YOUR HOOKUP RATIO. I am providing a link that shows the proper way to snell a hook to your leader. Read all the information carefully, so you will snell your hooks PROPERLY. It is the most simple attachment application, and can literally be done in 5 seconds or less. In addition to the video, scroll down to about mid page for a four step photo tutorial. I can honestly say that since I started using the snell, my hookup ratio has increased. Hope this tidbit helps someone.

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/snell_fishing_knots.html

Bill in SC

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I started snelling my hooks when i was drum fishing the surf ,an a friend taught me how to do it years ago .Seems to me they just work better snelled than just tied on :wink:

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That's a "no-knot" snell, popular with carp fisherman.

I may be wrong, but I think this is a proper snell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm8ARaJks0U

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Knot, or no knot, the knotless snell I posted works great. When properly tied, it angles the hook inward, resulting in great hookup ratios. THAT is the key. I have never had a line failure at the snell either. Thnaks for the youtube link.

BB in SC

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for the link. It has a lot of interesting info to offer. Appreciated.

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Your absolutly right Bill. Especially when fishing Circle Hooks. Guys using is your using Circle Hooks and not using a Snell or a No knot Snell give it a try, you will see an immediate increase in hook up percentages right away

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I snell in the winter time. it keeps me off the streets and away from the T.V.
    smokey

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    bill the snell you use ,posted, is the same one i always use and have for a few years works great.

9. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I've never snelled a hook that way before. Cool deal,thanks for sharing, I'll give it a try.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ironically, I just got a call from BOC member Penn Slammer, my West Virginia bud who recently moved to the Santee. He was singing praises for me turning him on the the snell and the Gamakatsu octopus circles. He was totally astounded at the difference on what he WAS doing, and the way he is doing it now. He sounded like a kid in a candy store. He won't be looking back, that's for SURE! :wink:

Bill in SC

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Steve, they all have a name. That's a uni snell ( I think) and the one I use. I don't like the other one. With heavy mono they kinda come loose. Uni snells stay tight and I can tie them as fast as other knots. It's all about having your fingers in the right place. I think machine snells are slightly different.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

@#%*!; I snell in the wintertime while watching TV! Can't break those bad habits......

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill I dont need to click on no link to tie that snell. A buddy of mine taught me on the PD river.:wink:
    One tip with the gamakatsu and maybe other hooks-even though i am right handed i find it is easier to hold the hook and tag with right and snell with my left.

14. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Right on. The one in the video is the closest to a machine snell I've seen. Don't get me wrong guys, they all work well, some are just easier to tie. The one in the vid I posted is a royal pain in the arse to tie in the dark.

There is another way too. Check out the AverageFisherman's video on YouTube.

15. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats the first time I have seen a different way to snell sure looks easier than the loop method that I have used for years. Going to give it a try. Thanks

16. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    A GREAT post by Bill and lots of good answers. That's what makes this site the BEST.

17. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Bill I have been snelling my hooks for the last few years and really
    believe in snelling. But the knot I use is a lot more complicated than
    yours and takes three times the time. I am going to give your knot
    a try. Thanks a bunch.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BY ALL MEANS, do so, Poppa! Just be sure to push the line back through the correct side or the hook so the hook angles inward as you finish the tie. That's the key. It was posted earlier that the knot I posted gets loose with heavy leaders. Well I use it with stiff 60# fluorocarbon, and have never had a "come loose" situation. Occasionally one appears kinda slack or loose, but I just pull it tight by hand, or let the fish do it. The way the tie is done, I don't think that it could ever come untied. No question, this attachment IS the HEAT for catfishing, anchored or drifting.

Bill in SC

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To snell or not to snell
    I have conducted extensive research concerning this question and what I found might surprise you.
    It seems many scholars and great thinkers have addressed this question for many years.
    I submit to you an excerpt from the play ‘ Pullit ’ written five hundred years ago by the obscure, but none the less great poet ‘Willie Breaksfear’

To snelll or not to snell, that is the question
    Whether tis better in the end to suffer
    The cuts and slips of an unclinched knot
    Or to take steps against a world of troubles
    And by snelling, end them
    To tie a knot no more --- and by a snell to say
    We end the heartache of a break
    Before the pound the line was rated

By Willie Breaksfear….aka Netmanjack

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps to ya, Jack!! Any 500 year old man still catfishin' deserves reps!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: