To skin a blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Oct 28, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I made a reply to a thread a minute ago about how to clean a flathead, and it made me remember what an old timer showed me this summer. If you've ever had the pleasure of skinning a blue cat, you probably noticed that their skin is attatched very tightly. If you have a whole mess to clean, it can be back breaking work. What he taught me to do is to make a cut around the head as usual, then make a cut all the way down the spine to the base of the tail. Then instead of peeling the fish length ways, start peeling the skin a little at a time from the top down. Just get it started, working your way down the back. Once the skin from the shoulder area, and pectoral fins is free, the rest comes off pretty easy. Then just fillet, or behead it, or whatever suits you. It's kind of hard to explain without a picture, but I hope this is useful because it made cleaning these stubborn fish a whole lot easier for me. We also had a couple big enough to get steaks from the head. These should not be wasted because they make yummy sandwiches.

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i watched an old timer dip them in boiling water for a few seconds the skin bubbled up and peeled off real easy but since i fillet all my fish i have never tried it myself

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Hang them up blue or flathead and the job is easy.
    Pete

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, right. That's exactly what I did, and was litterally hanging from the fish by the skinners, and was being laughed at. That's why I was shown a much easier way to skin a blue. There is no comparison between a blue cat, and a flathead when it comes to skinning them. Flats are easy hanging up or not. The skin on a blue is attatched alot better, and meat more easily torn up when the skin is removed. I've cleaned alot of fish. That's just been my experience. There's many different ways to do it. Hanging, on a board with a nail, cut fillets off then cut skin from the fillets, whatever. This was the fastest, easiest way I've done it so far.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    When I clean any fish I cut the filet off the fish then lay the filet on a flat surface and take the meat off the skin. I find this makes an easy job of it and helps to trim off the red meat. Vern

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I can completely filet an eater-size blue cat in about 2 minutes and leave hardly any meat behind. Lots of folks are a lot faster than me, too.

Skinning a catfish is a long process no matter how you do it -- and you still end up with the "underside" of the skin on the meat, which affects the flavor.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    You guys are right I am an idiot. I think I will log off for a while.

8. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Kat, what I like to do is let my fishin' buddy do all the fish cleaning! It is the easiest way I have found to clean any fish. Ha Ha!

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Your right Marty after cleaning 1000's of fish on my guide service I got it down now to just around 1 mins a fish avg size 1 to 3 lbs. had a guy time me once on a trip and I did 31 in 27 mins.

10. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i tried the boiling water i found it to be easer just cleaning them under hot tap water

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like to fillet off the meat skin and all then use an electric fillet knife to remove the skin easy and fast, though I am not out for speed and I really like having all 9 of my fingers, lol jk I have 8

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Filleting is the only way to go. We caught 60 blues with a few channels mixed in Sunday and I could'nt imagine hanging or nailing 60 fish one at a time to a board. There was 4 of us one was handing me fish from the live well and I would take off the fillet , shoulder meat and belly meat and throw it to another guy and he would take the electric knife and remove the skin from the fillet and the skin + silver side of the belly meat and throw it to the fourth man and he would trim any rib bones off that I had cut and bag the fish. We cleaned all 60 fish from 3 to 8 lbs. in about 20 minutes. This is the way I have cleaned fish for years now and usually don't have as much help but I do it in the same order if I am cleaning by myself. Could'nt imagine doing it any other way now.