to polish or leave dull looking

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BIG_D, Oct 30, 2009.

would you polish the aluminum or leave it dull grayish looking

1. polish

2. dull grayish

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am planing to leave the lower half of my boat unpainted would you polish the aluminum or leave it dull grayish looking

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If you polish, it will help it cut through the water better, thus increasing your top end, even if just slightly. You could also leave it dull, but put on a nice coat of wax.

Personally, once it's in the water nobody can see the lower half anyway. If it's just for the sake of looking good, I wouldn't bother.

3. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I say polish. I like to shine. Show's pride and keep you from beaching it on stuff. :wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do it the way Dallas would like it. Its an on going project. Its not over until you decide its over.:big_smile:

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I voted polish, but then I started thinking......:eek:oooh: Don't get it too shiny, it will be like a mirror and it could spook the catfish......:crazy:

6. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    i say polish it but not to a mirror finish just enough to make it look good

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It won't stay that way unless you keep pulling it off the trailer and flipping it over and re-polishing every so often. I'd say to polish just enough to take care of any corrosion issues then flip it over and start fishing!

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  9. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I could be wrong but that oxidized gray finish protects aluminum from salt and other corrosive agents.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

Oxidization IS the problem...im sure a layer of it will somewhat protect whats behind it but thats like not painitng a rusty car and saying the rust is better for it

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I voted leave it a dullish grey,just clean it well and wax it,polishing removes aluminum and weakens the metal on thin sheets(doesn't effect a thicker peice the same) and will just turn right back to a dull grey. I had a friend who polished his aluminum boat and he had to polish it about every month to keep it halfways shiney,time that would have been better spent fishing out of the boat if you ask me.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Randy you are 100% right it does protect it i have read up on this to make sher i could get by with leaving it bare

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    NO Jeffro Randy is right in this case oxidization is good for aluminum it does indeed protect it !!!!!!!!

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I'd say clean it up a little. Maybe use some rubbing compound but it will just oxidize all over again. Maybe give it a clear coat and polish the clear coat. The smoother it is the easier to keep clean.

15. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My lower half is dull and it runs just fine. When I come in full of mud I just take the old power washer to it and I'm ready to go again. Not only that but it has that "I've been fishing look" about it:smile2::smile2::smile2: Polish a very small area this winter and check it next spring and see which way floats your boat. I've gotta vote with Mickey though, when you're satisfied then you are through. Stay safe and Happy Holidays!!!:wink:

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am leaning towerd the dull myself yes i want the old girl to look good but the only time it will be seen is on the trailer botom line i got it to fish out of not polish on lol and i be darnd if i am crawling under the trailer or flipping the boat every time i turn around to polish her :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: nope not going to happen :smile2::smile2:

17. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think that by the time you get your boat polished, I'm going to have all of the fish you could have had in the livewell. Thanks for polishing. Of course you can also look at it another way, if you use your boat regularly then the oxidation won't have time to build up. Later Andy

18. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i voted polish but that would be only if i had the time and energy :big_smile:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Every little dent and dink will be magnified with polishing.
    They'll stand out like milk weed in a row of dixie lee peas.

And there again, it's a fishing boat.
    Like someone said, you don't want to be flashing on the water.

20. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Mark, what's a "dixie lee pea?"

Also, I like that profile pic. I think it would be better if you were a little farther from the camera though:crazy: