To mount or not to mount?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Trophy Hunter, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Fishing with the kids last weekend we caught this nice smallmouth on a live gill while catfishing. My digital camera was acting up (very cold in the early AM) so all I could get a picture with was a camera phone. Not the best qaulity picture. I usually frame a picture of any nice fish we catch but I don't think this picture will do the fish justice. I have never gotten a mount so what would you think about a reproduction? Worthwhile? Waste of money? Lifetime memory?

Thanks in advance and MERRY CHRISTMAS! - Mark

Attached Files:

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey nothing wrong with a mount hanging on the wall. just make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to mount it for you. heck i got 10 deer heads hanging in my living room and 4 fish. im looking for the next one right now. if the mount would have a special place in your heart go for it. it could be passed down in the family one day as 2 of my fish where. they belonged to my grandpaw and im glad to have them hanging on my wall. my wife thinks see lives in a zoo but they are part of my life and memeories for me. i say go for it.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i have a mount reproduction of a crappie my son caught it was 13 inch i stoped by the taxidermists the day he caught it and he took the measurements and a year later i got my fish back it looks great and have had it for 6 years a little dusty but nothing a little windex wont fix , it cost me $110. but the taxidermist was slow getting it done . when he was ready to paint i took a pic to him and had it look like it did when caught , suposed to been black crappie but it came from a pond and was green more than black . my son ate the real fish .

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Let my people mount :lol: thats a nice smally and should be put up for all to view and remeber

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Catfishrus summed it up well.

I am having a replical made of my 55 pound Blue cat from Lake Wylie, NC. It is not a state record, and bigger fish have been caught, but it is the biggest fish I have ever caught and the biggest fish anyone has ever seen caught in Lake Wylie, so it is special to me and worth the money.

If it is special to you, it will be something you reflect on often and a topic of conversation for years to come.

6. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the feedback. I have gotten a $250.00 estimate. Does that sound right?

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The guy I use here runs 13.00 an inch if that helps out any. I have use him for repro's But I wouldn't kill a fish just to put him on the wall you can get a repro done for just about any size fish out there and even if it would be say a 1/4" longer or shorter who would know but you.

8. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    most places charge about 3 bucks an inch

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    3.00 where have you been you can,t buy the blank for that to do the mount.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I had a buddy of mine back home mount the biggest walleye I've ever caught for $4.50/inch. Most places "back home" do mounts for $7/inch. Down here they run $10-$15/inch because of the costal region and the likelihood that someone will want a big mount. I like the idea of a replica. My biggest smallie was a 22" long and I let her swim free with only a picture taken. I've alway thought about getting a replica made of her, but I'm very picky about quality, and would pay for a good replica. You need to do your research on replicas, some guys do all of them the same and don't pay aspect to the individualizm of a fish.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice smallmouth

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    not sure where you got that info. its more lik $10 an inch. al least around here. real skin mounts are a little cheaper $6-7 inch. pepros are $12-$15 an inch.

last time i went to get a repro of a 20"largemouth he wanted $240. i didnt get it done. started doing my own. now getting ready to open a shop of my own.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice brown bass. What did it weigh?

14. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    That's a nice bass. If it means something special, you should mount it. I had a bass mounted this summer. It cost $9.00 an inch.

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Mount the SOB! That's a nice fish.