To Mag, or Not to Mag. That Is the Question.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmandeux, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Anyone understand the science (art?) of magging reels to control spool speed?

The more I read, the less I seem to know.:sad2:

For starters, I don't understand how magnets control the speed of an aluminum spool, and it goes downhill, from there.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    From what Ive figured out is that the spool has little magnets mounted on the side as well as the side plate. If they have an adjustment knob on the side like some of my quantum bass reels, the higher the number the closer the magnets are. Hope this helps and if im wrong please someone post the right answer.

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Dave, this will explain Lenz's Law.
    Basically, the super high speed rotation of the metallic spool in a magnetic field causes an opposing resistance force on the magnetic field and slows the spool down.
    Faster the spool rotates, stronger the field.
    Slower the rotation, the weaker the field.

What reel are you thinking about magging?
    I've been thinking about doing a Penn 310GTI and an Abu 6500.

:004:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've got a couple of Squidders that could stand it, and I'm looking at a 6500c5 that's already magged, from Cabelas.

What is involved in an aftermarket mag job? Where do you get the components?

5. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    For the magnets, Rare Earth Magnets . Must use rare earth magnets for the strongest induction.
    As for magging the reel, basically build up a foundation on the sideplate so the magnet is within 1mm of the spool. When you have the magnet and reel behaving the way you want it, just epoxy it place.

An easy way to find the sideplate/spool distance, is to take a piece of clay and place it between the sideplate and spool, then measure the resulting thickness with a micrometer.

Maggin an Avet

Reel Tuning At the bottom, it talks about the Abu 6500CT Mag

:004:

p.s. I'm going to see if Hobby Lobby does have the magnets.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don't know much about mag reels, but here is a cheap source for rare earth magnets:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.1105~search.magnet

They ship from Hong Kong, so allow 2-3 weeks to receive your order.. I've ordered LED's and electronics from them 5-6 times without problem. It's hard to believe that they can send stuff to you from overseas for under $2 shipping included, but they are for real.