To Livewell or not to Livewell??

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by BKS72, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm reworking my 1984 Lowe 2060 jon boat. I'm replacing the decks and adding a front gear locker and small back casting deck with storage area, foam, paint, all that jazz (before/during/after pix to come once I get the project completed)

I haven't added a livewell for a few reasons:

1. I'm 100% CPR on any fish of size and keep a camera in the boat, so no need to "store" fish.

2. I don't fish many tourneys and if I do fish them in the future, I'll make a stock-tank removable well like my removeable bait well to use for them. Easier getting the fish in and out and a better chance of keeping them healthy IMHO.

3. Any smaller fish I'm keeping to eat either go in the cooler, go on the stringer, or get filleted quickly in the boat after catching.

4. I'd rather keep the floor space to a maximum for the kids to play and me to power nap:big_smile:

Am I crazy for not adding a live well? I figure it would take up a LOT of space to make a well big enough to keep big fish frisky and I just don't have the need for one for my type of fishing 99.5% of the time. Just curious what you guys (and ladies) think.

Thanks,

Branden

2. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Given your situation and limited space I dont think a livewell is necessary. You can always build one out of a 96qt cooler with a bilge pump circulator or something then carry it if you need it. BUt then if you build one in and keep it dry when not used it adds storage space as well.... But I still say..No.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was right there with you on thinking I would not need a large live well. I CPR anything over 10 pounds. I have a small live well for big gills, crappie, etc that I am going to be keeping for the table. I will put them in a live well until I know I have enough to fillet for supper or I will turn them back if I only have a few keepers. Some with small cats. If I only get one or two I will release them and it is had to release them after they have been on ice for a few hours.:eek:oooh::big_smile: So I put table fair on ice at the boat ramp and not before. With the large live well I added i ended up with multi functions from it.
    1. Place to mount seat and sit on while driving the boat.
    2. Large storage box when not in use and I needed the storage.
    3. I do hope to learn enough and start fishing some tournament's in the future. So I will then need a large live well. That would probable be the only time it gets used as a live well. Unless i leave the camera at the truck and need to keep a personal best for a few minutes to get the camera. Those would be the only times it will be used as a live well.
    I feel that the benefits will out weigh any lose of floor space that i may have lost. The way I look at it is this boat still has more usable floor space than any of my others, so it is still a win, win situation.

Is your boat a side console, center console or tiller?

Thanks
    David

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It was a side console, it'll be a center console when I'm done. The back storage area would have been the place to put the livewell (and in the future I can turn it into one if I want) and it's set up like yours - it's where I'll sit while driving.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If my boat would have been a side console I don't think I would have added a built in large live well. Since it is a center console and the live well can serve other purposes I though it would be a good idea. i will even be able to use it as a large cooler for drinks, etc since the walls are going to be insulated.:big_smile: I just gained some floor space back. Now I don't have to carry a grocery cooler in the floor.:smile2: I just got to have my groceries on the boat for a fishing trip. Us big boys got to eat.:roll_eyes::smile2:

Thanks
    David

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    shoot i would rather have the floor space also if u dont keep any fish i agree dont need 1 braden. we allways need more storage space:wink:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good call. Anything that you don't really need, is just extra weight to increase your draft, require a bigger engine, consume more fuel, make you buy a bigger tank, ad nauseum.

8. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Thats why i left my console out and going to tiller handle ,more room and less weight ,as you know branden i never keep fish and always have a camera ,its up to you but would not worry about putting a livewell in there ,you can just take a pic of my big fish and i will turn it back hahahaha:wink:

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you done got this one figured out.them power napes come in handy.LOL :wink::big_smile:

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am getting ready to go nuts rigging an older 20 foot Lund Alaskan. It has a small livewell that I will keep and I plan to make a big one out of a 125 qt cooler or stock tank like you mentioned. I love the wide open floor space. I am so sick of feeling like a sardine in a can in my current 16 ft lowe roughneck. Don't get me wrong. The old Lowe has served me well but like everyone that boats "I NEED A BIGGER BOAT"

My vote is no big built in livewell! I saw what you have done so far on another tread. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck