To keep or release???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dankitch, Dec 23, 2006.

1. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I am new to the BOC...But after reading several threadsI have realized there are many different opinions on alot of subjects from what rods to use to frozen or fresh bait. But one thing I haven't read anything about is does anyone here release all the fish you catch? I cannot stand the taste or smell of fish. I throw everything back regardless of size. (I'm sure I am going to be in the minority on this subject) I am just interested in different opinions on this.

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Danny you can open a can of worms if you say you keep all the fish you catch. But you turn them back, you will be loved. Welcome to the site, lots of opinions on just about every thing. Great site, lot of good people here. Just keep and open mind and understand that not everyone will agree with every thing you say or do, so just agree to disagree. I started CPR after I joied this site. I catch only what I need and let the rest go. I have cooked over 300 lbs of fish this year alone. All fillets.

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i release all mine also...TO LAKE CRISCO! LOL

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well danny this is a topic that should get plenty of attention , i love fish , all fish and i do eat them when i get the chance . i usualy eat catfish twice a week . i fish the ohio river out of milton ky and some times launch at madison indiana . i keep what fish i choose sometimes their large over 20# but most of the time their under that , i try to keep atleast 3 quart ziplock bags of fish in my freezer at all times 1 quart will feed my family a meal , 1 1/2 fish at 5# will fill a quart when fellet'd i cut them into 1/4 " x 1" peices and roll them in corn meal and lemon pepper then deep fry them . i want to catch a record someday so all fish over 30# go back in the river unless it appears they wont survive , iv lost very few fish to over exsertion or stress from the fight . when spawn is on i release all fish if i catch any so they have the chance to lay their eggs for future catches .

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The big ones I release. The rest I eat. YUM
    Bill

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like fish just fine but, I won't eat them out of the ohio river anymore!!! I generally release all the catfish I catch and I comend you for doing so as well!!! You are not in a minority on here, you have escalated yourself right into the majority, LOL!!!

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Danny, first off let me say welcome to the BOC from the left coast.
    You are not alone in the practice of catch and release , it's a great tool for conservation of the resource that still allows you to enjoy the sport.
    I'm sure that you understand the importance of careful handling of the fish you release to increase the chance of survival. But, what about the fish that are hooked in such a way that they are sure to die. If you return these fish to the water that they come from remember that nothing in nature is wasted the dead or dying fish that you toss back will serve to feed other aquatic life which enriches the environment for all. so just go on about what you enjoy and don't let anyone tell you what you are doing (as far as injured fish) is not the right thing.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I love keeping smaller cats to eat, but release anything over 10# or so. The smaller ones taste better, I want to keep the big fish in the gene pool, and I enjoy the fight.

9. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I mostly catch and release, but I like to eat fish every now and then and keep a few here and there. I dont see any thing wrong with people keepin all they catch if they or somebody they know eats them. I started catfishin very young, mainly trotlinen and I admit I first started catchin and releasin out of laziness LOL! just didnt want to clean them. The older I got and the more I learned about the growth of catfish, the more I release for the reason of catchin them next time and hopin they are alot bigger. Welcome to the BOC !

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    heyim not really into eating fish either. well ill eat it but its not my favorite. i throw everything back also. unless its a bluegill thats getting cut up for bait lol.

11. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I really thought I would be in the minority on this. To me there is not much of anything better than sitting on the river listening to the radio and chewing sunflower seeds while fishing. I can sit for hours fishing. Alot of people here think I am crazy to fishing in the winter, (my wife included) but I love it.

12. 2hawks

2hawks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I release everthing I catch at least all my cats, crappies are for eating cats are for fighting.

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    If I feel comfortable with the cleanliness of the water I'm fishing I will eat a few good sized 5-15 lb fish. If the water seems too dirty or if I have heard other foul things about it's quality I'll just catch and release. I can best sum up my methods by saying that I don't keep fish unless I know that they are gonna be good on the dinner table.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It depends on where I want to dress them or not Lazy I guess:waaaht: heres a little gold to pull you up

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Danny, I Practice C.P.R. With All The Catfish I Catch.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    As a standard rule, I release everything over 10#. Once I catch enough for a meal, I release the rest. I prefer to eat the smaler ones.

At our tournaments, everything weighed in gets released.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well Danny, seems as though you were far from being the only weird one on the board. LOL I posted a thread "In-Fishermen Television" which will air in January on the catch and release program, plus other tidbits. Think it will be very educational. Everyone should check their local listings.

18. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i do both. I have no set rules.

I love to eat fish. There are TONS of ways to cook/bake/fry/deep fry/broil fish that are mouth-watering!

I am good at catching fish. I am good at cleaning fish. I am good at preparing/serving fish.

Body of water certainly comes in to play. I have fished places that i would NEVER eat anything that comes out of it..but loved to fish there. Other places...would eat every fish i caught, if legal.
    Species of fish matters, as well.

cyas
    robert

19. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have a guide license here in NC and when i take clients out it is catch and release only if they want to keep any fish it cost them a sur charge, When i go out just for myself and with a friend we only keep one or two for supper, the rull is anything over 5lbs and under 2lbs goes back I made a slot limit so we don't hurt the pouplation of cats where we fish, Some fish needs to be harvest to maintain a healthy pouplation,

20. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    If I know the water is clean where Im fishing I sometimes keep a few small ones to eat. But usualy I fish the Ohio R. and the only thing I keep out of there is maybe a carp for cutbait.