To Keep or Not To Keep

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Nov 10, 2006.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished Marion on Thursday. Got back to the landing and saw a guy cleaning three coolers of fish. Also the same area I was fishing a commercial fisherman has a trot line over a 1/4 mile long, that's not marked. Not for sure if it's more than one or just one long one. He takes fish off it every time I have been fishing. I caught one that weighed 40 lbs and kept two other fish Thursday. Felt bad about keeping the big fish and let one go two weeks ago that was as big as the one I kept. I guess the problem is and my thought is, if I don't keep the fish the commercial guys and trot line folks are. Don't mind people keeping fish, but what are you going to do with 600 pounds of fish. I just hope we don't ruin the greatest catfish lake in the country. Just my thoughts.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The same old arguement. What if! Why not! The standard answer is gonna be. If its legal then whats the big deal. Perhaps the legality of fish possesion and limits needs to be reviewed.

However, knowin the human race we will wait till its too late.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Don;t we allways.peewee-williams

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    :sad2: If I were in charge of the world I would declare catfish as a game fish and entitled to all the rights and privileges of such! I have witnessed the decline of many wild things in my life and even game fish have a lot of pressure on them. We need to do something before it's too late.

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    my question is, why arent catfish already a game fish? i mean, cabelas king kat tourny(numerous other tounrys to), in-fisherman catfish guide, whole sections of catfishing gear at places like gander mountain(at least the one in terre haute), i get a couple catfish magazines every few months, looks to me like itspretty much is a game fish without the same restrictions as the other game fish such as bass.

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    This can turn into a battle from he-- . I've voiced my opinion on it so many times. I've been to the house of reps with it, I've been to the drn with it. It's a sad story right now, but if everyone than had a iota of a concern for catfishing would get up off their dead butt and say something to someone that's gonna make a difference instead of b.s.ing here you may see a change , but until then, it won't. I've ran the rabbits and chased my tail to no end,and thurst me, without everyones help , all you can do is talk, and hope someone with a little ump hears you.I CPR EVERYTHING MOST OF THE TIME , AND THEN ONLY KEEP SMALL ONE FOR THE OIL.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know the answer either, but I am sure glad commercial fishing has meen banned on the Missouri river in Missouri. I do understand that commercial fishing is some folk's livelyhood. In fact it's a necessary part of our food supply, and economy. However when it comes to the catfish, they don't need to be wild caught. Farm ponds are economical, and easy to maintain for substantial commercial fish harvest. One thing that you may consider is getting ahold of the DNR to check these guys out to make certain they are fishing legally as even commercial fishermen have rules to follow.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I release everything. But thats only half of it anyway, you must handle the fish properly to ensure its survival first. I only keep the ones I plan on eating.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its one thing to keep a few to eat but a truck load is so uncalled for.

10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    if his trotline is a 1/4 mile long it is probally not legal as for trotlines i run them two or three times a year on the mississippi river and give the meat away to alot of the older guys and gals at the local vfw post who can not go out and catch the fish any more nothing i keep from rod and reel or trotline ever goes to waste have seen people pull dead fish off lines and just laugh and throw on the bank this gives those of us who run trotlines legally and responsibly a bad name as for the comm. fishermen i talk to a guy regularly who uses gill nets to get those jumping carp to sell for fertlizer he releases all cats caught by his nets unless they are injured

11. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    The economies around the santee cooper lakes rely much more on the capital generated from sport fishing for catfish than commercial fishing. Taking away the rights to commercial fishermen would cause minor losses. Taking away the tourism and all the money it generates associated with catching world record sized cats would be devastating to this area. That's why i dont understand why they haven't done anything???? Not to mention, the catfish is the 2nd most sought after game fish in america, behind the largemouth bass. How is it that the 2nd most sought after fish for sporting is not considered a game fish????

12. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :sad2:
    I agree that catfish should be declared a sportfish with limits. I think any big catfish should be release as they are the breeding stock for future generations. I only keep a few for a meal, then release the rest. If we do not do this eventually there will be none left. You would think the SCDNR would have learned the lesson from the redfish/drum problem a few years ago, but again they can only do what the politicians will let them!

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Trey that is an awesome post!

You are correct. Banning commerical fishing would impact far fewer people than ruining the resource for the recreational fisherman. The recreational fisherman dumps money into the camps, hotels, restaurants, and gas stations in and around the Santee-Cooper lakes. The commercial fisherman dumps money into his pocket while we the taxpayer supports his operation.

Personally, I have already stopped eating at two fish restaurants that purchase fish from fishermen who catch the fish in local lakes. Farm raised fish are a much better source of fish for restaurants from an economical, biological, and health standpoint.

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I agree with what Wyliecat said and I dont eat fish from the local lakes. I wouldnt eat it from a resturant eaither if I knew it was not farm raised. 1 here 1 there probally wont hurt you but think about all the things that are flowing into our lakes everyday. From people pouring gass and oil in the sewers, to all the fertalizer that is put on our lawns. It cant be good for you, so I say let them go and hopefully my kids kids can catch them to.
    Everybody needs to make a living, but there needs to be regulations set in place to ensure that these fish will be here for years to come. Im not sure but arent there health dept. issues with resturants buying fish like that? I worked as a mate on a boat on the coast a few years back and we commercially fished for bulefin tuna. There were, and are strict limits set in place and the fish had to be killed a certain way, packed with ice and a coulpe of other things just to be bought back at the wholesaler.

15. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't speak for others but I fish and keep the ones I want for eating. I rarely set one free.

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Good point on pollution, billfish. I read this week where the folks of the Wedgefield-Stateburg water district had their drinking water condemned. They have been given a filter to attach to one facet in their home in order to get drinking water. The culprit in the water is Ethylene Dibromide which the article in "The State" said came from the dye and drug manufacturing. I also found out that this chemical is used by petroleum refineries. Due to the proximity to Lake Marion and the Wateree river I wonder if it could be found there also? Anyone who has passed through this area going to Lake Marion knows that there is zero industry. I hope it has noting to do with the big hazardous waste dump buried nearby which is almost on the banks of Lake Marion??

Mudhole, I like your comments on getting involved to protect our catfish. I think part of the problem has to do with the personalities of fishermen. Most tend to have a laid back personality, are very patient, and don't want to rock the boat. I agree that we need to get involved and all we need is a leader like you. The chairman of the Senate Fish, Game and Forestry committee is here in Lancaster and I would be glad to help.

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree with you guys on this but santee is a different breed of lakes to me that is. i dont think taking out 600lbs of fish is really going to hurt the lake as long as they are in the 3-7lb range of fish. santee is loaded with them fish and they might be over populating at this point. i been fishing them lakes for 20 years and everytime i walk into the fish cleaning stations i ask myself how long is this going to last. i dont think santee will ever be fished out for small fish. i thought they had limited the trot lines to certain size "small" hooks to help the big fish population out some. so the question is are the blues over populating in the lakes to the point that we no longer have big fish. it happens to deer herds all the time. with all this said i havent kept a fish in years. im too lazy to clean a fish. to me once caught the fight is over.

18. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Now fellas....I gotta tell you, I have been known to and still do keep a few fish to eat as well as put some in the freezer for fish frys. Having been raised in the south with a large family it was all my folks could do to keep a roof over us. Friday night was dads fish and grits night and he would usually bring home two fish of somekind.....usually mullet or catfish. Mom would fry up those two fish in a cast iron frying pan....put one on her plate and one on dads plate and us kids would get the " gravy " left in the pan to sprinkle over our grits !!! Once in a great while, me and my five brothers would fight over who would get to gnaw the tail fins off the carcasses when they were done. Dont get me wrong now.......I do release the ones with eggs and dont keep the female redbreast bream.....but if youve ever been to one of my fish frys you know no-bodys going home hungry. Now deer meat is another story.......we ate so much deer growing up I thought we were going to start rubbing trees. and I dont mean processed as sausage, ground venison, or cubed steak. Im talking throwed in a pot, boiled and served, tough as shoe leather deer. Theres nothing wrong with deer meat and I like it.........properly prepared and in moderation.......but every now and then I like a chicken.....maybe some real beef and a few hot dogs throwed in the mix too !!!

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I like Michael's quote, "...everytime i walk into the fish cleaning stations i ask myself how long is this going to last..." I too have said the same thing. It is amazing how many fish are taken out by the guides during the summer months. They will come in with 200-300 pounds of fish and say, "man it was a tough bite today".

Somehow it keeps on producing, but many of the seasoned guides will tell you that they don't catch the big fish like they once did. I am no biologist, but I really don't see how some restriction on the bigger fish can hurt.

The guides are in it for the money. All they care about are happy clients and that means lots of fish. SC is known for being the last place to make a change for anything, much less some cold blooded animal, but I do wish they would follow Tennessee and do something. It would be good for the guides and for the tourists that frequent the lakes.

20. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    keep to eat or make mony! what ever if it's legale