TO FREEZE, OR NOT TO FREEZE

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mavmannate, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Ok, Im thinking about getting a small freezer/fridge to keep bait in since the boss lady dont allow bait/fish (unless its already cleaned and bagged)/anything not for human consumption in the fridge in the kitchen, so i might get my OWN fridge lol.

Now speaking of shrimp/bluegill/carp....
    If I keep gills and shrimp in the freezer, will gillz be ok to use when thawed?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yup fresh is always better but when you cant get any it helps to have some backup in the fridge.Yeah it works fine,i havent done it in awhile but sometimes ill get a bunch of bluegills and save the heads and freeze them in case i need some.

3. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have never had luck with thawed out bait it always gets mushy,i hope you have better luck than i ever have

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Would adding salt before freezing toughen the bait up when thawed?

Ray

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Just what I needed to see..as I'm working with frozen bream and crappie mixed with a few minnows at the moment.:crazy: Hopefully , something will accept my offering of 'good will'!! But then again , I've been procrastinating about getting a cast net , so I may get what I deserve!!

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2 cups stock mineral salt 1 to half a gal of water soak bait overnight then freeze in brine mixture.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you have a vacuum sealer, then you freeze them it should help to keep them better. id say if you added some of the salt mixture in there also it would help.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've found frozen bluegill sucks. Period.
    Frozen shad is pretty decent. Any frozen bait I use I try to keep frozen until we get to the spot we're fishing, and we send it into the water while it's still frozen. This stays on the hook better, not to mention I think it helps release the natural oils a little slower than usual. I've had luck on frozen bait, nothing of good size yet - but it still produces.

9. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

Hmmm....DO you think it might be, because the jucies are gone? :confused2:

10. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a lot of good luck on frozen bait. I freeze mine whole, but I also put them on ice the minute I catch them.

11. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

So how does everyone else do it, Do they snap there head to kill them without the suffereing or....how is the best/correct way to do it???? :crazy::cool2::confused2::big_smile:

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If it's gills, I would keep them alive and then just put them in the freezer. Since shad are so hard to keep alive, I just put them on ice immediately after I catch them, then in the freezer when I get home. It keeps them fresh and I haven't noticed them being mushy.

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Either way works. If you don't have to worry about freezing them and can readily catch them, great, use fresh. If you can't catch them fresh all the time then freeze 'em. Just throw them on ice and freeze asap. Works great either way.

14. I agree. Put them {shad} on ice immediatly after caught and put directly into the freezer in preferably an airtight seal bag.

15. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have three freeze bags ofs bait in my freezer for back up never know when you will need them

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah I usually freeze my gills and chubs in water so they thaw faster but yes they'll work. I always recommend fresh though. just don't thaw them all the way before putting them on your hook because they'll get soft and fall of shad are even worst

17. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    lol.. i bought a fridge from walmart it was like $90 a smaller one.. i freeze gills all the time an refreeze again. most ive done this was 3 times after that the bait starts to decay and smell in the freezer

18. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I go below the Dam in Carthage Tn. and catch a slew of Skipjack actually caught 350 last Sat. they were about 5 to 6 inches long, I have a bait freezer in my garage that I keep my bait and I have never had any problems with it when it comes time to use.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fresh bait will out fish forzen bait big time...But frozen bait is better than no bait.

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Once I catch bait I put it in a 5 gallon bucket for a few minutes to let it shed scales and what not. Then if I plan to freeze it I put it directly on ice immediately. The sooner you get your bait on ice the better. I hate using frozen bait though ... I really hate it. It is better than no bait though.