To close to the Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bluetick1897, Mar 25, 2008.

1. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was in a tournament last year and thought I did pretty well until weigh in. The tournament was out of elsberry. The Top 3 boats were all fishing within 50 feet of Clarksville Dam on the Mississippi. I seen them there. There are plenty of warnings to stay at least 300 feet away.. Is that LAW? I felt cheated because I did it legal. I think everyone knows that if you throw a chunk of shad right next to the dam some big blue will find it but isn't it unethical and Illegal? I felt they should be disqualified. In a tournament we should all have the same rules. Soar loser maybe...

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes it is law. Most tournaments states that violations of law are grounds for disqualification. The time to bring it up would have been at weigh-in, citing the rule number violated.

Too late to worry about it now. Carefully read the tourney rules and see what it states.

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I agree with you about fishing dams at tournaments. My personal feeling it is a cheap way to win a tounrament. What tournament were you fishing?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is not allowed in our tournaments at all. All state and federal laws are to be followed to the "T", no excuses, no exceptions!!!

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well don't feel cheated if your not going to protest it.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Josh said it - nobody likes to look like a complainer or sore loser, but if they were breaking the rules they'll keep doing it as long as nobody says anything and they keep winning.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The time for a "Formal Protest" is over but, he needs to bring it to the attention of the director so he will be aware of the problem next time and be on the lookout for it. (if he cares at all)

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Just crossed paths with the folks from unk’s yesterday and asked if there’s any plans for this year. They said they’re talking about it… I was there and went up to the dam late in the day, boats were everywhere and yes many to close. It was my understanding they were going to be sending any violators a little gift in the mail called a ticket. Don’t know if it happened. The boat that won that one when I went up there was back behind the line, don’t know about earlier. Hope they have that little get together again this year, I lost the hat I got with in the first week going a little to fast at night on the river, :smile2: need to get another one.

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am signed up for that gathering this year again. I plan to bring it up at the meeting. Also they have changed the rules concerning fishing Alton dam this year and they are enforcing them. I got run out during the Alton gathering. I dont know if the other dams are following suit or not.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There's no "cheap way" to win a tournament. As long as you're abiding by the rules of the tournament (and the folks in question might not have been, but that's not my point), anything goes. The one who wins is often the one who makes the best use of available resources - whether it's bait, fishing location or creative interpretation of the rules.

The golden rule of competition: Anything not prohibited by the rules is permitted by the rules.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, you are correct but, breaking a State or Federal law to do it is wrong, if the rules of the tournament say so or not!!!

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    When the rules clearly state all state and federal and MDC rules apply you should be dissqualified for breaking any of those rules. Plain and simple.

13. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I made my protest at the tournament but did not have proof. Several of the contestants said they get as close as they can to the dams and it was like people thought it was common to be that close. I love the tournament and thats my home water so I will be making it well known about being strict with the rules. And I agree that the winner is the one who can use the rules to his advantage but not getting caught is not using the rules its breaking them still.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep well said.

As far as proof goes.. Take a camera what better way? Besides if it was that common of a practice to break the rules I would quit fishing it....

Dreadnaught: I don't know a single tournament event that does not state. All state and federal laws must be abid by. That right there makes a non listed rule a tournament rule a lot of times. If I protested a tournament and nothing was done and felt it was pretty common practice to go close to the dam and cheat. I would not go back and fish it again plain and simple.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I fished the "Louisiana get together" last August, I caught all my fish below the dam at Clarksville. I was rather amazed at how close you could get to the dam. I was anchored right at the sign and can tell you it was ALOT closer than 300 feet!!

Alton Dam is 300 hundred feet and I know I was alot closer to the dam in Clarksville, but never went passed the sign. Frankly I wouldn't have felt safe going past the sign as I was already pretty darn close as it was!:crazy:

If you're that worked up over it, take a video camera with you! It's undisputable proof caught in real time!! I've been taking mine with me on the river just to capture the thrill of the fighting blues, but also with the problems that some of the brothers have had with the commercial fisherman on the Mississippi, I wouldn't mind having that footage to show a prosecuting attorney!!

16. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to step on any toes, But this is Precisely why I don't Tournament fish any more. And also why I am so excited about the Cableas Tournament NOT being in Waverly this year. 100 less boats running all over the water I like to fish. I want to go on Record saying, "I am not against Tournaments. I am just not in the game". Thanks and Good Luck with your problem.

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Lets not put the cart before the horse guys. Some Lock and Dams DO allow you to be up rather tight to the dam, and be perfectly legal. If thats the case, (such as Clarkesville, or Saverton) Then you should be allowed to do it.

The time to cover the rules pertaining to the dams in YOUR area is at the Pretournament meeting, NOT after the weigh in. That way, there is no misunderstanding.

Each State and each dam has varying rules. Openly discuss the rules at your pretournament meetings to head off problems. It IS legal to be up close to some Lock and Dams guys. And others, (like Alton) Its a minimum of 300 feet. Also, most not all, dams have it clearly marked on the Lock Wall a line, or red light, that your not supposed to exceed and that is the limit.

Again, some good quality discussion at your pre tournament meeting will head off problems. A good tournament Director will have the States Rulebook in hand regarding the dams, and will have talked to the LockMaster before hand to discuss the upcoming tournament, and what the limits are as well. A little courtesy goes a long way. :wink:

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    No argument from me on that one!

19. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo
    So if you dont know the speed limit and you get pulled over it not your fault. When you hunt and fish you should know the rules and if you stretch them to win a little fishing tournament your shallow. I hate to say you are the first to complain when you dont win. Thats why their is little sponsor money.It will never get any better until all us straighten up and grow up.I love the tournaments ,but theirs no money in it for this reason.

20. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    The regulations for the old dams on the Mississippi(Saverton, Clarksville, and Winfield) have two marks for distance. The first line coming from down river to the dam is the caution line. The caution line is located at the 300 foot mark. Small craft are supposed to use extreme caution from that point toward the dam. It is legal to fish above the caution mark(300 foot line).

The second line is the one that marks the prohibited zone. It is located 150 feet from the dam. Only authorized craft are allowed between this line and the dam. It is illegal to fish in the prohibited zone and folks have been known to receive tickets for being there.

On the new dams such as the one in Alton, there is just one line. If you get above it, the guys at the dam start to get nervous.