To Catch a Falling child

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We hear it on a regular basis...spend time with your kids. Your time is a key investment in their future.

Just providing for your family is not enough. Todays parent needs to be willing to make an extra effort to educate ones children about what is REALLY important.

A solid moral example is a good start...knowing right from wrong puts them a step ahead of kids that are not taught respect.

Taking the time to let them help you catch fishing bait...cleaning and regular maintenance of your reels, and respooling...pouring sinkers...powdercoating the jig heads different colors...looking for shed antlers....picking morel mushrooms...reloading ammunition...building arrows...hanging deer stands...building a duck blind...changing the oil in your truck...tossing the football, baseball, or softball out in the back yard...feeding/watering/exercising the bird dogs...will teach responsibility and that there is more to meets the eye when it comes down to just about everything.

Take them fishing or hunting after they have helped you build up to it...and then have them help your clean your catch. That way they witness the circle of life.

Most of all...be aware of who your kids friends are. Invite them along on hunting and fishing trips along with your own kid...nothing tells you more about a person when you get them in the great outdoors.

I'm fortunate to have kids who are interested in hunting, fishing, and camping.

Mostly because I started them out at a very early age...and managed to keep things interesting for a short attention span having kid.

That is the most difficult part...because as we all know...every single moment outdoors isn't always productive...and its possible for a kid to get bored easily.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    AMEN BROTHER.....VERY WELL SAID! I have three that have another father that is a real piece...I am there dad and they love me as much as I love them....They will grow up knowing what respect -and morals are even if the otherside dont.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Brian, you have the right idea. push the right morales on the kids. i raised 5 myself. 2 boys, 3 girls. i have 1 boy, 2 girls that will go camping, fishing at the drop of a dime. the others have other interest. but, i stayed and supported their interests. help guide them into (they didn't realize at the time) good ones. they know i'm proud of them and support them. it makes all the difference in the world with them. they are doing the same with the grandkids. i'm getting the chance to take grandkids fishing with me. letting them make their own minds up if this is what they want to do. the big thing is to be involved in the kids as they grow up. be involved with their friends. they claim (at the time) they don't want you to, but usually later will admit they were glad you were around.
    good post brian.
    gary

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When I was a kid I played outside. I didn't have video games. I had a BMX bike, a skateboard, a fishing pole, a BB gun, a dog, a buck knife, and a job.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hmmmmmmmmmmm?? and you dress like this? kinda makes me think now. :wink:
    gary

6. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    yous aid that really well there. oit is so true and i aggree with you 100 pervent. even more true when you ar e a single parent to help them understand everything that is going on. thank you you really made me think on this one