"To Braid or not To Braid" That is the ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by starcraft72, Mar 2, 2009.

1. starcraft72

starcraft72 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use mono now. Was thinking about changing to braid. What Brand works best? Lbs test? I have both spinning and baitcasters on 7' Ugly Sticks. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC. You will hear lots of opinions here on this subject. I use 100# Power Pro braid, and love it. I use a 60# fluorocarbon leader with it. Great for any situation. If you fish the James, this would be a good combo. Again, you may hear many conflicting replies, but this works for me. Once you switch to braid, you won't go back.

Bill in SC

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use 80 lb.power pro on 2 of my reels and these are the ones i fish a cat bobber on.the rest of my reels i use for cats have 40 lb.mono.i use the mono cause its more abraise resistant.i have a lot of zebra mussels where i fish and the braid cuts to easy.7 of my reels i use in the ocean for sharks and they have 100 lb.mono on them.

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I don't like the 65 lb plus PowerPro as it doesn't seem to cast as well for me as the 30 and 50 lb PP. I do like the braided line though, and I think you will too if you give it a try.

More money, but much better in my opinion...

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like mono myself but im going to give the berkley guerrilla braid in 50# test but im not sure im going to like it or not,i like mono an awful lot.

6. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have braid on 7 rods and I like it better than mono. Casts so much better I have it on baitcast and spinning works great on both. I use 15#, 20#and 30# Tuf-line XP I like the small dia. That way I have more line on my reels and no memory when I cast. I plan on getting some 50# for my big reels that have dacron on now.Try to match the line to the rod and weight that you will use. Heavy line needs more weight to get it out there.

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC.

#65 Power Pro with #40 mono leader. I use this set up for my baitcasters from the bank on 12' rods. Good luck.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81731

This topic comes up often and there are many pros and cons. I wrote an article for the BOC library last year that includes input from many BOC members so I think it offers a balanced perspective.

Check it out.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been using P-Pro for a long time now and I still like it. Mainly I use the 50# , but I spooled up some 65# not long ago and like it too.

Its like anything, you have to give it some time to get use to it. I loved it right away, some folks end up hating it.

My only advice is to not use any braid under 50# for abrasion purposes. And then use a mono type leader after that.

g'luck

Oh, and I do have reels with mono on them ; )

10. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I might try some others out if it werent so darn high,but i cant see paying that much money out,especally fishing in high snag areas where you lose alot of line.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you use a leader that is lighter than the main line braid, the leader fails before the braid, thus loosing only leader material and not braid. Again, I use 100# braid with a 60# fluorocarbon leader. Braid is CHEAPER in the LONG RUN.

Bill in SC

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I dont like using leaders if i really dont have to.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 80# high vis. power pro and use a uni knot to tie a 40# big cat mono leader, works very well :wink:

14. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've used mono, I've used braided, but my favorite is STILL Dacron.

15. straycat47

straycat47 New Member

State:
    texas
    What brand dacron do you use? I agree with you about Dacron as it is very supple and lo stretch. Does Gudebrod still carry Green Spot dacron anymore:cool2: ??