To Bleed or Keep Alive?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by westman407, Sep 29, 2008.

1. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been reading about selective harvesting and following links and one thing leads to another and here is my question.
    I have read that bleeding out a fish that you intend to keep helps release some of the lactic acid and iron and makes the fish taste better if you are not going to be eating it within 24 hours. You simply cut a gill and let them bleed out, then throw them in a cooler of ice after they have bled to death, to clean later.

I have been throwing them either on a stringer off the side of the boat or in the live well keeping them alive until I get home and then either cleaning them or putting them on ice until the next day to clean.
    Does anyone know or have experience or preferences with which one is better or anything?

Thanks for the input ahead of time:smile2:

2. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I dunno! I always clean them as soon as I get home when I keep any.

3. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I prefer to cut the tails off and hang them so they are vertical...head up/tail down...bleeds them out completely and leaves pure white fillets.

4. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    but do you do this while you are out fishing? I am wondering do you keep them alive while fishing and then bleed them out at home or do you bleed them out while fishing then throw them on ice until you get home to clean them?

5. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What I do is keep alive while I'm fishing. While I clean them I soak the fillets in water. and that is how I bleed them. It seems to produce white fillets. When I take them out of the freezer to cook. I soak them in water in the morning and then cook later in day. I don't know if this is right or wrong but its how I do it.

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I bleed once I'm headed for home, or better yet drop them into a bucket of fresh COLD water at home, and let them bleed out. However if you have a cooler with ice on hand, no reason not to bleed them and start them cooling off.

Everyone has their own technique for bleeding, some cut tails, cutting a gill is a good idea IMO.

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    When you are out fishing and catch one cut their tail off and leave them in the livewell to bleed out till you get home.My buddy has done this for years and said it's the best way.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I agree with bleeding them out. The larger fish especially seem to taste better when bled. I too cut the tails off just enough to cause them to bleed out. I do this with all my large catfish. I have heard that it is not necessary with the flatheads though. Not having caught any flatheads of any real size, I can not say.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I cut the tails off of the ones I eat while on the water then tie them on the side of the boat I always dress mine on the water i don't like to dress them at home I take a plactic bag with me to put them in:big_smile:

10. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I was wondering if bleeding them out in the last hour of fishing would get blood in the water to help cause some stragglers to come running in. Bleed them, then hang them off the side of the boat. But if it worked then the last hour would turn into 2-3 more hours.
    :smile2:

11. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i always bleed out all of my larger fish by hanging them and cutting them right above the tail almost cutting the tail off. helps get rid of a lot of the red meat.

12. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i always bleed the fish before i clean them if you keep them alive in a live well you can wait till you get home

catfish ive always just cut the tails
    salmon ive always cut the gills and this is highly recomended for salmon tend to buld up more acid

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you soak them in the fridge in a bowl of water with a tablespoon of salt in it you wont have to bleed them.. the salt will draw all the blood out over night and leave nice white meat..

14. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm fortunate to have a dock with a sink and running water on it. I just tie them to one of the posts, grab a tail with some pliers and cut the tail off in one swift slice...fish plops in the water...meat is as white as the driven snow. I'm hawngry!