To big to Keep

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by huntduck, Sep 19, 2006.

1. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Last Saturday I was at my local lake,started talking to a fellow cat-man about
    his motor which was like mine.I have had a few problems, and just wondered if he had experienced any.TO THE POINT!! We procided on to talk fishin and places we both like to go when time and money are there.He takes out his billfold and shows photo's of what he has caught there before.A nice 103# blue,which he (slautered).Is it just me or should this fish had been CPR'ed ?
    Fishing is not like hunting where you do have to kill it to take you picture with your trophy.My point take your photo and let it go!!

What is you opinion??

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    CPR all the way that's our future.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

CPR, would have been my choice. But not everyone thinks the same and there are always going to be people who don't think about the future of fishing, just the here and now. That does not make them bad people but it will eventually hurt this fine sport. IMO

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i cpr the big ones but whats big to you might not be to me , i eat catfish . anything over 35# goes back unless its wounded or blind in one eye or wont rip my thumb off to swim away after 10 min being held under water . but i cant tell some one else what to do with their fish if they caught it its theirs theres no laws in effect as to size or amount of catch you can keep in ky

5. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The guy didn't know or didn't care that he killed uncounted generations of cats for everyone to enjoy. Snap the photo and let 'em go.

6. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How can one person tell another whats right or not . If he ate the fish good for him if it was wasted that would have been a real wast.

7. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep...I think CPR was the way to go too.

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Five to seven pounds, and chances are Im gonna eat it! Bullheads big enough to fit in a pan, Im gonna eat those too. But when I hook into a monster (and someday I really really hope to!), after I take their picture with me and the kids, I let em go.

9. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I release all fish over 15 pounds and if I have a good mess to eat.I will release all over 10#'s.In my opinion once a fish gets over that you have to waist to much meat.All that red meat is just too strong for my taist.Plus,I always have fish in the freezer,and would rather thaw some out than kill a
    fish of that size.
    Remember:The photo's last a lot longer than the show-and-tell at the bait store.

10. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    It's god's green earth and all but I choose to release everything over 6 pounds or so. It takes all kinds.
    And who's to say, the natural environment of catfish has been so disturbed by damming and channelization, releasing the lunkers may not necessarily result in a physically larger population like it would naturally. Catfish can't potentially breed with each other along a whole river like they used to.

Taking a few off the top isn't going to do much harm unless a whole lot of people do it.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally we(my dad and I) stopped keeping stuff over about 10 #'s. But the fact remains, that if something is caught legally, we have no right to tell someone else how/what to do with there catch. You wont catch me ever telling someone there wrong for keeping any fish caught by legal means, I might suggest to them, and explain why I do it, but I will never try and force someone into my practices.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Them big ol kitties need released I think, but, that is my opinion.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Personally, I am totally against the harvest of a fish that size because I see no point in it. From a consumption standpoint a fish of that size taste far worse than a smaller fish, and the amount of mercury, PCB, and other chemicals that it could contain make it extremely unhealthy for consumption. If it was kept to show off, I see that as nothing more than a selfish waste to support a person’s ego.

With all that said, it was probably perfectly legal so we can not really condemn him for doing what the state says is perfectly ok. Like I have said before though, just because it is legal does not make it the best thing in the interest of the sport of fishing. Would the fishing world have been better served by releasing the fish? Perhaps.

I like the quote from T.J., “Fishing is not like hunting where you do have to kill it…”

I have pondered that thought many times while fishing. I hunt deer, and I kill deer. The difference I see is that a trophy deer takes about 4 ½-5 ½ years to get to that point, while a trophy catfish may take 15-20 years and as long as 25-30 to reach the 100 pound proportions. The bottom line is that we can not generate trophy fish at the same rate as deer.

Now, before you start sending me PETA membership applications you should know that I do believe that a regulated harvest of catfish is something that can be beneficial to the angler who catches a trophy fish and the ten year-old kid that dreams about it. I am for a limited harvest of trophy catfish to help maintain the trophy fish that we have out there. Fisheries like Santee-Cooper have seen a steady decline in the size of the catfish over the past ten years. Sure, there are still big ones in there, but they are not being caught at the same rate they once were.

Limiting the harvest to one fish over 36” will greatly help to increase the chances that others will have the opportunity to take a fish of a lifetime.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If the ol' boy caught the fish legally, it's his to do with as he pleases, so leave him be.

Don't impose your idea of what's right or wrong on someone else -- if you choose to release the fish, good for you; if you choose to keep it for food, good for you.

I personally would have released the fish. But I'm not the one who caught the fish, so it's not my choice.

15. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I vote for CPR.....

16. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Mr. T that it was that guys choice to eat it if he wanted to.

17. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    take a picture and let em go i say! he'll be bigger next year!

18. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I am also a fish eater,in moderation. I always let the bigger ones go to fight another day. But whos to say whats right.:cool2:

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My personal opinion is to release all fish over 10 lbs. But it's up to each individual to make their own decision. Let your concious be your guide.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Unless him and his family were starving to death, I say CPR.