To be fresh or not to be fresh?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CamFish3210, Jul 29, 2006.

1. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have some perch thats been dead between 4-1 days and theyve been on ice in bags......does anyone think i could get better results catching blues and channels if i used the old ones for bait or just catch them fresh and chum with the ones that have been dead a while...

input anyone?

2. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i already like it here, im just now getting into the whole forum thing. i think tonite ill have three poles out....small spoiled dead perch, a fresh chunk of bluegill and a little live perch...we'll see what happens. i just hope the gar will leave me alone tonite

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fresh is always best in my book.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught fish on bait that has been on ice a couple of days, but those were on days where I was catching a lot of fish. One day I am going to do a test with some frozen bait and fresh bait and see if I can tell a difference.

If you have a choice, fresh is better, but if it is all you got then that is what you have to go with.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the on ice fish are gonna be your next best bet to Live and freshly iced fish... and way better then Frozen or preserved.... As long as they have been kept Iced down they should be good as gold...

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cameron, welcome to the BOC. I have been catching a few cats lately here on the Ohio River in Kentucky, but all my fish were caught on live shad. Vern

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If possible fresh is definately the best way to go.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Cam welcome , I like your Idea of trying all off the above. Let the fish tell you what they want.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fresh is deffinately the way to go.

10. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    To be honest I have caught fish on both frozen and fresh shad. Seems like the parts of the bait fish you use are more im[portant. Me personaly I have better luck with the heads than the mid section and last the tail. Good luck.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    my uncle alway had a bag of frozen and a bag of fresh he swore that some day the wanted frozen and some days they wanted fresh try everything

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fresh is by far the best, if you don't think so take 2 poles and fish off the back of a boat 1 with fresh and the other with frozen and tell us which one caught the most. I do keep some frozen, only for when I can't find shad or catch gills.

13. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome new brother !!
    Brian

14. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fresh is best. I do not have a bait tank so we take our fresh caught shad an throw then into a small cooler with several small frozen plastic jugs. I think this is better than just on top of a bag of ice. The ice melts and the shad set in the water. I think that this draws the oils and slime out of them.
    Mom and Dad use to leave their days catch in a cooler full of ice and water so they could clean them the next day. Talk about dirty you could not even see the bottom of the cooler the next morning.

15. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    :lol: fresh and live, have fun!

16. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I take shad and vacum seal it and freeze it, it seems to work pretty good! It is the next best thing to fresh bait in my book!

17. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fresh works best for me.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cameron , Welcome to the BOC. Fresh is generally always best. but a good rule of thumb is to throw a variety and let the fish tell you what they want that particular day.