To bad you can't put Mayflies on a hook!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jun 29, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Two or three weeks ago we were at the lake, and I found what would be great bait for channel cat, if you could figure out a way to get them on the hook! The mayflies had just hatched here in Kansas, and were in the small trees and bushes along the bank of the lake. There were a group of geese that were going along the edge of the water reaching up with their bill and grabbing branches and shaking them knocking off mayflies by the hundreds, if not thousands! The geese would then go into a feeding frenzy gobbling up the Mayflies off the top of the water and in the air.

Pretty soon, I heard a lot of commotion in the same area, and went over to take a look. The geese swam off, so I shook one of the small trees and knocked a bunch of the mayflies into the water. There were probably 4 channel cat over 10# boiling the water eating the mayflies, and several smaller channel cat as well. I stood there for 30 minutes shaking that tree until there were no more Mayflies falling off. To bad they are to damm small to put on a hook.

Times like this I wish I could fly-fish, a 10# channel on a fly rod would be a BLAST!!

2. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    when i was a kid i'd catch big blugills on mayflies.they would hit as soon as the bait hit the water.
    matt

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Get a fly rod that would be fun!!

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    There was a similar situation although with cicadas a couple summers ago during that huge hatching of 17 year cicadas. They were everywhere and the fish found out about it and we were catching anything and everything on them. We caught bass, bluegills, crappie, carp, and a few channel cats on cicadas. We were hooking them through the hind end so they would stay alive and cast them out with no weight on the top of the water and fish would just slam them.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cats are no dummies, they know where to get fed. They have done it for years.

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i am gonna try catfishing next week... just gonna put a sponge bait on the end of the line so hopefully i can hook into some big ole cats... that would be A BLAST on a fly rod

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Those big mayfly hatches can really put the brakes on the fishing, everything eats them until their bellies buldge, and then they have no room for your bait!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The same at Santee Cooper.Everything that would eat them gorged on them.I have seen ducks gorge on them.Never saw geese,my domestic or wild eat them.All the geese that I have ever seen were strict vegetarians.Shows how animals change in different parts of the country.This was years ago.They may have learned to eat them there by now.peewee-williams

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you care to try when those cats are gorging themselves you could toss a small whole gill are fillet of gill in there and probably hook up. I know it works for Bass with a crank bait in bream color.

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    An imitation mayfly on a long leader in front of a casting bobber about half full of water.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOS NATIONAL GATHERING

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Sounds like time to break out the fly rod to me! It also sounds like it be a blast!

12. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We have usaully done well by fishing with pink worms or crickets around mayfly hatches on the river. You just have to fish near the bottom or the bream will get your bait most of the time. We usually fish for the bream catch a few channels along. The at dark if we choose to stay you can start working on the cats as the bream seem to quit biting at dark.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Phillip, I would love to break out a fly rod, but I would just be spending all my time untangling line, and pulling flies out of the trees! LOL:lol:

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The only time I have been skunked catching cats was last summer when there was a HUGE mayfly hatch on Lake Wylie, SC.

During the night there was a bright flash of lightning, and when it flashed all the fish at the surface eating mayflies splashed as they reacted to it. It sounded like someone dumped a truckload of gravel in the lake!!!

15. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i agree when the cats turn on to mayflies its hard fishing for bait fisherman, ive been busy this winter tying a few different mayfly patterns and been waiting to take them out but now my grand fathers house was flooded so ill get to work in the house and just look at the river for a few weeks now.