Tn's 34" Rule going back again!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ShilohRed, Mar 9, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well looks like Representitive Odom is going to try to get this law reversed again for Willie Bourchart. We as catfishermen need to do our part and voice our opinions via email or call the number below and leave him a message that we don't want this changed! Leave the limit as is, no commercial harvest for fish over 34" and one per day per sportsfisherman per day.

http://www.garyodom.com/contact.htm please email or call Majority leader Gary Odom (615-741-4410) if you are against ledgislature changing the current 34" law back to where there is an unlimited and unrestricted

They are trying a different angle on bringing the 34" law back up to repeal it.
    Don't look like there going to give up. So we better not.
    Thanks,
    PEte

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I thought this law was voted on already.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It was, But this one is trying to bring it back up again.
    Pete

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here is a revised copy of the letter that we used earlier in the year. Sign , copy and paste to an email at the link in Pete's post.

March 10, 2007

Rep. Gary Odom
    18A Legislative Plaza
    Nashville, TN 37243

Dear Rep Odom
    I’d like to offer my input about an on going effort to reverse Tennessee’s current maximum size limit regulation for catfish of 34 inches.

Commercial fishermen seem to be arguing that they have a meat market for these bigger fish, but it is believed they are selling them to operators of “pay lakes” in Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Simply put, the fish of this size that they do sell are resources being taken from Tennessee sportsmen who buy licenses and sold to benefit sportsmen in other states!

Sport fishing for the larger, trophy catfish is a rapidly growing activity among sportsmen in states that have an abundance of them, and catfishing tournaments have become quite popular here adding important tourism dollars to our economy. Tennessee received national recognition in several major sporting magazines as the leader in this effort to protect the resource when our 34 - inch size restriction was enacted. These articles also spawned a lot of tourism dollars to our great state and now, other states near us, namely Arkansas, Virginia, Missouri, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Kentucky either have passed or are considering similar legislation.

Lastly, it is my understanding that the effort to overturn the current restriction is being made by a very small minority of commercial fishermen in our state. I urge you to help all Tennessee sport fishermen by voting against reversing this very important catfish size protection.

Sincerely,

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We should send some to Mr Willie Bourchart, and let him know that he is in the minority.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

What we need, If it makes it thought this time. Is about 1000 of us standing there when they vote.
    Pete

7. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Where did you find this information?

8. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The reg's for catfish have already been passed for this year. tHE 07-08 reg's are the 34" law is in effect for this year. I bought my new license the other day and checked the reg's. I quess they are bringing it back up again?

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When you say it is passed, what do ya mean. In our favor or not?

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They can bring up a bill any time of year. And if It passes it would go into law that day.
    AS for where can you find this info on Representative Odom. Call him and ask him.
    Mr Odem gets it back on the floor for Willie Bourchar. As for where I received this info. Well lets say a guy on the inside.

11. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    ShiloRed....I saw this on your board and sent my letter in reminding him that Texans spend money in Tennessee to catch catfish too. Hope he understands.

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Well now that is a bummer. Who is that guy you say they are trying to change the law for?

13. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I took time to email all the TN senate and house members along with all the officers of the TWRA. As an out of state fisherman that comes to TN to catfish I think that this issue is that important. I encourage all catfisherman that feel the same way to email or call all gov't and TWRA officials. I have already had several replies from gov't people today, and all were supportive of the current law and appreciated my concern.

Thanks, Philip Price

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check this link out.
    Click here: KnoxNews: Columnists
    PEte

15. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I called his office about this issue today, and let me tell you what an IDIOT. I mean a 100% idiot...MORON. I told him that I spend a lot of money as an out-of-state fisherman, and he said that he didn't care. He was an arrogant idiot. He said the commercial fisherman make the fishery better? So selling big cats to pay lakes up north makes the fishery better? I ask him if he had a biology degree and he said he knew more than all those people...yeah right. I hope that all people in TN will call and let them know how they feel about the law. After talking to that idiot this morning I called everyone that I could. I vote democrat, but her gives us all a bad name. Basically he position is that he will sell out every fisherman (in and out of state) to make money for a few people to slaughter or sell big cats that take decades to grow. I am about as angry as a person can get and I hope there are many others that feel the same way.

Thanks, Philip Price

16. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I talked with James "BigCat" patterson today (Guide, West TN) and ask what else I could do to support the law. He said that anyone in support of the law needs to cintinue to email, call, and write letters to all politicians in TN. We need to continue to make our voices heard. The more a pain in the "butt" that we all are the better. Please call and email Bourchart (arrogant idiot) and Rep. Odom. Odom has refused to return all phone calls on the subject even Bill Dance. Bill Dance called to speak to Odom and will not return his phone call! The TN legend himself calls you and you want even talk to him? Call both these guys, send emails, letters and be a pain. Also, though contact all the people who will listen in the state of TN about the issue.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You can bet they will get it taken away. As they are telling the other's that they will withhold there $$ if they don't do it there way.
    Wish the TWRA could run it. As that is there job. Not some crazy guy that thinks hes god..
    Pete

18. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Well I am going to make it a bit easier since it seems we are going to be doing this for awhile.

I am in the process of making a form you can fill out with your name and email that will send the letter given by Bam and mail it to every Senater, and Representative in the state of TN.

The good thing about the way I am doing it is that it mails one email per address instead of one email to all the addresses.

of course you will be able to edit the messege as well.

Anyone else I should put on the list of people to get the email when the form is sent?

19. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Clovis, I would include all the members of the TWRC (commissioners), the Governor of TN, the TN Wildlife Federation. I think it would be good to send the letter to the large TN newspapers to let them see (outdoor writers) what we are willing to do to protect our fishery.