Title question on a boat im trying to get.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FlatGetter, May 27, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My boss has a 10ft jon boat that i was thinking about trying to get. I need a boat that I can pick in and out the water. But he doesnt have a title to it and therefore I cant get it licenced. any Ideas how I get a new title?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    under 14ft in ohio a boat does not need a title, just a registration..I dont know about your state however.

3. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i dont think you need one. does it have a hull I.D.# or a registration # on the bow? i just filled out the aplication and sent in $22 for the sticker using the reg. # on the last sticker that was on it. it expired in 1972. i hope that number is still good.lol

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Perhaps he would be kind enough to give you a notarized letter stating the boat was purchased and used exclusively on a private lake/pond and therefore was not previously registered nor was the title maintained. That and a lot of prayers will help you out.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Contact a boat dealer or a car dealer in your town and it will be answered easy enough. or try the titling agency in your state. we have them in each county but many states have one primary agency.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I just went through that with an old bass boat I bought without a title. I took it and had it inspected by the coast guard, they filled out a paper for me to take to the court house and get a title here in Ohio, maybe you can do that where you live. Contact the state title department and they will tell you what you need to do to obtain a title or whether you need one or not.

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Find the metal tag on the transom of the boat. Get the serial number, go to the local DMV and apply for a lost title. A bill of sale showing you as the new owner should do the trick. Are there any numbers/letters/State Tag, on the front of the boat? If so, it has been registered/licensed in Illinois before. You should make a copy of them and take it with you especially if there is a State Tag still on the boat. That will tell the last time the boat was licensed and to whom. Good Luck!
    Don

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks, Im gonna get it. I'll find a way ta get a title if needed.

9. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois