title a NC boat motor in SC?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nevets91, Nov 25, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    so boat motors dont have titles in NC right? but they do require them SC. can you get an older motor from NC titled? i know you have to be able to buy one from NC and be able to use it in SC it would be ridiculous if you couldnt . how does this work out?

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I dont know you may want to call the dnr office at columbia they can tell what it takes

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    nc was helpful to me when working on getting trailer licensed and the requirements. hope it goes well with sc dnr.
    i had to title and register boat and trailer in nc from sc.
    make sure the notary not only signs but seals. one of the states require the seal. It cost me two trips instead of one.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  4. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    NC motors do have titles I cant remem the year they started but I bought a 87 150hp rude a few years back.... It had a title... Also my buddy bought 2 motors from N.c from from diff ppl one was a parts motor and the other was good both had titles... Also I bought a broker boat in winston salem one time it had titles for boat motor and trailer

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    The boat that I just bought up Raleigh 2 weeks ago had a title listing the hull#, but no mention of the motor. Guess that I'll find out what happens when I try to register it here!

6. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Good luck Pat, better take your circus attire so you can jump through the hoops of fire for them people at the DNR.:smile2:

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Good advice, Wes! I'd better remember to wear my asbestos drawers too, so that my goodies don't get torched :crazy:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    An excerpt from the SC Registration & Titling Information. Read the whole document at http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/registration.html

5) Outboard Motor - Previously titled in another state or purchased from another state

1. Title in seller's name if you are purchasing from a titling state (Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas or Utah). If you are purchasing from any other state, send a Bill of Sale or statement explaining how the outboard motor was obtained.
    2. Pencil Tracing, if traceable or Photograph of Serial Number on outboard motor.
    3. Bill of Sale, signed and dated.
    4. When purchasing an outboard motor separately from an individual, there is no cap. You are required to pay Casual Excise Tax. The tax is 6% of the purchase price. Please include this fee along with your transfer fee. If purchasing from a dealer, taxes are collected by the dealer.
    5. Completed and Signed Application - (Adobe File Format.gif Adobe PDF format - file size 57Kb)
    6. Fee - $10 for new title
    7. Late Fees

I hope this will help. :big_smile:

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I called the DNR office out of Florence,SC-they gave me all the details of what to do_no problems!Just make sure you get all paperwork from the NC owner.

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    aint that the truth

11. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I bought a boat from NC a few years back, its not hard to do. SC DNR will give you a new title number for the motor. You just print the registration form off of their website and it out they will assign a title number for the motor.

12. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    call twice or more, lol. when i titled mine last year i called dnr in columbia 4 times and was told 3 different things, finally got it registered though. good luck